THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Looking for a cleaner burning powder for .44 mags

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a cleaner burning powder for .44 mags
 Login/Join

<Carroll B>
posted
Tonight I shot some 240 SWC in my new .44 mag. My first loads for this new gun was 8.0 gr of Unique. The indoor range didn't have the ventilation system turned on. After 6 rounds I found myself in a cloud of smoke. I use Unique for loading 9mm and don't seem to have this much smoke and the 9mm is using 5.0 gr of Unique. Is there a powder that doesn't cause this much smoke that would be suitable for the .44? I have a 250 gr SWC Keith design mould from RCBS on order so I would like a powder that would be suitable for this bullet also.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience with Unique. I think it's one of the dirtiest powders that I've reloaded with. My 44 Mag loves Win296 but that's in full bore 240 - 300 grain jacketed bullet loads.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always used H110 in my 44 mags...

6.5 Bandit

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Same as 6.5 I always use H110 in my 44 Mag.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carroll B
I have not tried it but I have read where Universal Clays burnd a lot cleaner than Unique.
Still for mid range loads I use Unique. I tried Dupont SR4756, but it was not near as accurate as Unique.
For full power loads I have used H-110 and 2400.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I too use Unique for the majority of my .44 Mag shooting. It burns dirty and smokes, but remember it was first released in the very late 1800's, it's actually as authentic as black powder for cowboy action shooting!

If I were going to shoot alot indoors, I'd probably try to work up a load with W231, it seems a good bit cleaner than Unique, you'll use smaller charges too. The few loads I've done with it seemed pretty good, I just keep coming back to good ole' Unique.

HTH

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unique is dirty in my 44 mag no matter what quantity I use. I use it anyway.

H110 is a great powder but not for the same purpose as Unique. H110 is better suited to all out, full power loads.

Blue Dot is pretty good for practice loads with 240 grain bullets. It does tend to lead the barrel a little more than Unique. It gains more exceleration before the bullet reaches the forcing cone than unique does, thus more leading. Some people say that Blue Dot is louder than unique but I haven't noticed.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used 2400 with good success. and lately have been rying h110 and win 231 but my preferences are with the 2400.

Posts: 66 | Location: Troy Montana | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Might try jacking your load up to 10.0 grs. Burns alot cleaner with more pressure. That's my favorite plinking load with 250 gr. cast bullets.

<bigcountry>
posted
Same problem here. As you know for cast bullets and target shooting, H110 is not the powder. I upped the charge to 12gr with a Oregon Trail 240gr and its better. I like you don't see it being dirty in my 40cal or .357sig due to the pressures are different. Try bulleye or Universal. They seem to be cleaner with the same effect you looking for for target loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the smoke may also be from the bullet lube if you are shooting cast bullets. Before my Dad passed away, I took him shooting at an indoor range. He was shooting lead bullets with Bullseye in a .357 - I jokingly asked him if he was shooting black powder. Man, did those loads smoke. (He liked Bullseye because he was cheap - he could load a lot of ammo with a pound of Bullseye.) I notice a lot of smoke from my lead .45 ACP rounds, too.
I use Blue Dot for my mid-power loads in magnum pistols. But there may be better powders out there that I haven't tried.

<JTD>
posted
I used to use unique in my plinkers because that was what dad always used. I would use 8 grains and after a box or two my stainless gun would have a nice "blueing". Then is found some Titegroup. That stuff is a lot cleaner and I usually us 7.5 with it for 240 grain plinkers. I tried it with some 300 grainers once and the cases where stuck pretty good, so I wouldn't use it with anything over 250 grains. I also like H110 a lot. 23 grains behind a 250 grain keith is great. It's not too hot and it's shoots real flat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of Titegroup in my .45 ACP. I also use it for mid-power loads in .357 and .41 mags. I don't hink I've tried it in .44 mag, but it is a very clean burning powder.

[ 05-23-2003, 01:38: Message edited by: Calif Hunter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Recent lots of Unique are supposed to be a lot cleaner than older batches. U-clays, Titegroup, and the Ramshot and Vihtavouri powders have very clean reputations.

If you really like Unique, try a safe charge that generates more pressure, as Dan in Wa suggested, or buy a really new can of the stuff - it should be marked "cleaner burning", or something similar.

I read of one cowboy action shooter who used lighter-than-usual charges of Unique so that it would smoke like black powder, but without as much mess and cleanup hassle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vihtavuori N135... Lee Alox lube. No problems with my SBH 44. N 110 works too,especially in longer barrels.

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Carroll B>
posted
Thanks for all the replys. I called Alliant yesterday and spoke with their technical dept. The guy was very nice to talk to and helpful. His suggestion was if I wanted to stick with Unique to use more powder. He also loaded .44 mags and he used 2400. I used 2400 about 30 years ago in my .357 mags. Since I had enough points at BassPro to get a pound of powder for free that's what I did. I am fortunate to have a BassPro shop between home and work. Actually it's not fortunate for my charge card, but anyway I'll burn some of the 2400 this weekend and see what that does.

[ 05-23-2003, 14:23: Message edited by: Carroll B ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carroll B,

GREEN DOT........BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2400 for plinkers, Li'l Gun for meat.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could probably get more power from LIL'GUN than H110, but H110 smells better.

When I load wimpy for my brother, I use AA#9 [Ramshot Enforcer] and load down to between 44 Special and 44 mag loads.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carroll,

It appears you've found your answer, at least for now. If you want to experiment further after your 2400 is burnt up, I would recommend Vihtavuori N110. It's an extruded powder which can be used with a wide variety of bullets and charge weights. From my experience thus far it burns very cleanly. Most recommend a magnum primer with it, and don't forget to crimp the bullets firmly.

I've been using Titegroup, which, as others have said, is a clean burner, except with significantly reduced charges. Then it begins to smoke and dirty things up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did some Sunday afternoon shooting with a friend,he has a long barreled Smithy .44 Mag, I was with my 10,5" SBH.

Basically I wanted to get rid of my wheelweight bullets �cause I have a better alloy now.Just added some linotype. Did some testing at home and found a COOL load using "surplus" Vihtavuori N110. Means I do not use it for any other loads at the moment.

Groups really,really good,I still need to test it thoroughly because my pretty wooden expensive like hell Hogue grip went KABOOM. So back to the original grip,takes time to get used to it with two hands... [Frown]

Definitely an inch at 25 yds,probably less.

So: A Lee 255 grain SWC sized to .430, hard lubed WW. (My own lube)
18.8 grains VV N110, COL 1.58,tight crimp.
Average velocity 1455, SD 10 (20 shots)

Verrrrrry nice,the only problem is that I have to cast these for my friend now. [Razz]

Once again,this load is kinda improvised,no exact VV data for this boolit. Anyway,the best 44 cast load this far,leads less than with a faster powder too. Can�t wait to see how the new alloy works! I shot about 120 of these,the gun looks okay,no unusual residue or leading.

And I am smiling. [Big Grin]

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote