New
Find
Notify
Tools

overloading brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A formula that I used years ago is now being questioned.

With 22.9gr of H322 in brass being shot in a Ruger #1 .223 cal rifle the powder fills the brass to the very top. Inserting and seating a bullet would crush the powder. Years ago some larger cal cases also called for 110% capacity.

How rare/common is this and is it dangerous?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Ken.

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
something doesn't make sense - i don't know what a 233 is, but if you're talking about a 223, 22.9 gr wouldn't even come near to filling the case. if you're trying to use 32.9 then it is a gross overload. but if using a compressed load the thing you have to be most careful with is that when seating the bullet you don;t bulge the case. compressed load are rather common and provided that it isn't a dangerous load there is nothing wrong with it at all

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, a type. Cal. 223.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for catching my type (now corrected) and for the information.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon says that 24 grains of H322 will fit under a 50 grain bullet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im not sure what you are doing, my load of that very good powder btw, is 24 grs. of H-322. I use that grain of that powder for 40 to 60 gr. bullets to keep life simple..about 92% to 93% case capacity with any brass. You may have to tap your case a bit to let the powder settle is my guess as that happens sometimes with a powder measure for example. Compression is slight but mild at that percentage, compression is a villain some proclaim, but in fact it adds to good accuracy in most cases, just don't over do it as it can cause bullets to push forward overnight and then they jam the rifles throat and you get high pressure and probably some ruined cases with oversize primer pockets..sometimes compression at its worst can swell a case just enough to not feed into the chamber but you should be able to feel that during the reloading process.

Compressions main claim to skull drudgery is in big bore dangerous game rifles wherein the African heat causes high pressure, but I have never noticed that problem in my big bores, even with max loads. Africa does not have an exclusive to hot climes, and I have tested man big bores with overloads in the high desert country of West Texas Big Bend where temps soar to 120 or more degress on ocassion. I concluded that poor reloading practices is probably the real villain, but how many would own up to that??. Eeker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote