Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 29 44 Mag reload, double impacted primers
 Login/Join

posted
I recently started reloading for my Model 29 44 mag. Had a couple of unusual events that I hope you may be able to shed some light on. Loaded 50 rounds, and out of that 50, 2 failed to fire the first time I tried to shoot them, after waiting 30 seconds with gun pointed safely downrange, I examined them and there was no impact on primer. Try again and they shoot fine.
Second issue, on 4 of the cases I fired, there were 2 impact indentations on the primers, the main one square in the middle of the primer and a smaller one that varied on each shell as to where it hit, 2 were close to the center and 2 were closer to the perimeter of the primer.
My first thought is that I need to have a gunsmith inspect the hammernose, but wouldn't it be a more frequent occurance if it was defective?
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Confusedsounds like an alignment problem! thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if its an older 29 from the bang and punt era - i've seen several of the revolvers that were out of time

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
could have been the firing pin was trying to seat the primers.
the off center hits are something completly different.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats what ai was going to say improper seated primers or a out of timed gun.

Or did some screw with the main spring.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd say the gun is about 20 years old.

What does out of time mean?

I am pretty sure the primers were all seated properly, I inspect them all after each iteration, but that's not to say I didn't miss a couple.
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YEP:
I'd say the gun is about 20 years old.

What does out of time mean? Thanks

The hammer is dropping and the cylinder is not yet in true position. The chamber is not in line with the barrel. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You know on older well used sw's or ones using very hot loads, some of the springs wear out and when you fire, the recoil lets the cylinder rotate in a backward direction. Your next shot, fires on the already shot case -- thus 2 firing pin marks and NO Boom!
Could this be what you are experiencing?
My 1st 29 is at the point it does this with full power loads now-- after 33 years shooting nothing but full power or +P 44 mags. It can be repaired by a good gunsmith.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What loads are you using? Could be a timing problem, could also be weak springs causing the double imprint, or too hot a load. Make sure the hammer/mainspring screw is not backed off. this was often done for a reduced trigger pull, but also lessens the hammer fall force. It is located on the front of the grip frame,towards the bottom. You might have to take the grips off to see it. Make sure is tightened all the way in. I have had about a dozen M29s over years, manufactured from 1957 to 1984. I have used handloads in all, usually at factory equivelant to the 240 gr. loads. They are not meant for very hot, heavy bullet weight loads. Get a Redhawk, Super Redhawk or Blackhawk from Ruger if you want to use those loads.
I know there is the argument that since it is chambered for the cartridge, any handloads listed in reliable manuals should be safe to use and not hurt the gun...but think of it this way...if you have an early 1900's H&H double in 375 H&H, would you use the maximum loads listed for a 350 gr. bullet weight in that caliber? I sure has hell wouldn't.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
What loads are you using? Could be a timing problem, could also be weak springs causing the double imprint, or too hot a load. Make sure the hammer/mainspring screw is not backed off. this was often done for a reduced trigger pull, but also lessens the hammer fall force. It is located on the front of the grip frame,towards the bottom. You might have to take the grips off to see it. Make sure is tightened all the way in. I have had about a dozen M29s over years, manufactured from 1957 to 1984. I have used handloads in all, usually at factory equivelant to the 240 gr. loads. They are not meant for very hot, heavy bullet weight loads. Get a Redhawk, Super Redhawk or Blackhawk from Ruger if you want to use those loads.
I know there is the argument that since it is chambered for the cartridge, any handloads listed in reliable manuals should be safe to use and not hurt the gun...but think of it this way...if you have an early 1900's H&H double in 375 H&H, would you use the maximum loads listed for a 350 gr. bullet weight in that caliber? I sure has hell wouldn't.

very good advice!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote