New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting Edge bulets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ive been on the net looking at cutting edge bullets for sale for the 348 and the 45-70 with VVN133. Looks like a good option in a limited field..

Need to know which bullet form cutting edge works best on deer and elk in both calibers. and some max loads of VV133 in both, I will cut back from the max and go from there to work up to my guns max

Im guessing the use of lighter bullets and higher velocity as they are mono-mono-lithic, long bullets..but apparantly available and thats a real plus.

Especially interested in Ted Thorns, crSheltons and a couple of others that have approached these bullets and loads..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I have shot a lot of stuff from cape buff to whitetail with CEB safari raptors. You want a flat-base safari raptor in whatever weight you like for the .45-70. They don’t list .348 bullet…but they might make you some. They are good helpful folks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been a big fan of CEB bullets and have used them in many applications
In my 348 I'm loading CEB's 175gr Raptor using RL 15, load has proven more than accurate.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

I stand corrected. This would be the one for me in my 71.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the CEB Raptors and solids on several animals in Africa and they worked perfectly. I just worked up a load for my Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 using the 295gr CEB Lever gun raptor and RL7 powder.

Ed

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I started my son out big game hunting with a Ruger bolt-action .300 BLK — essentially .30-30 in ballistics but with almost no recoil.

He has killed 5 deer and a beaucoup of hogs with it. The great ballistician Michael McCourry told me to shoot 100 gr .308 flat-base raptors in it and it would go another level. He was right. With a healthy dose of WW296, it shoots that bullet ~2600 fps into a 3/4” 100 yd group all day long with the recoil of a .222 Rem.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed's suggestion for a 295gr Raptor with Rel 7 in 45-70 is well thought of.

For the 45-70 on deer and elk, I would go with the CEB Raptor bullets in the 250gr. range. ( Insert the plastic tip for your first bullet.) Brian

https://cuttingedgebullets.com...lets?caliber=66Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These bullets look interesting but I've found myself wrapped up in Hammer Bullets lately....so I guess I have noting of value to add.

Good on your son Mr Ledmv!!!

Good luck as always,
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke,
How about letting us in on the secret of Hammer bullets, I have not heard of them?? and would certainly like to check them out..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke,
I contacted Hammer bullets on the phone, really nice folks to deal with...They are looking into makeing 348 Win and 38-40 Win...Yeehaw!! They figured out the 38-40 is a .410 10MM and I told them all they needed was to add a cannalue to it..

these guys are busy trying to please..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Ray,

Easy to find on the internet, usually in stock, most accurate measurements of any bullet I've checked, good BC, excellent accuracy. They are a mono-metal, hollow point also. The guys are very responsive and have excellent recommendations.

I've used them on big game a few (several) times now with stellar results and now have a couple buddies shooting them at game with the same outcome.

I hope that helps but I'm not trying to sway you away from what you were looking for but might be worth a peek.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Hammer has made a .348 bullet for a while. I started shooting them about a year ago. They only list 157 grains on their website, but somehow I also have a 162 grain (listed on the box) version of that bullet.

They might be on the light side and have a pretty large hollow point for elk, but at least they probably wouldn't lose any weight.

A friend used them in his .348 on pigs and was happy with them.

I've shot the CEB's in my model 71 also, but frankly they look a bit too odd to be pleasing compared to the Hammer's (and they don't seem any more accurate).

I don't know what their production schedule is like these days, but the 180 gr. GS Custom bullet might a good option for the .348 for elk.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote