New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite .243 Powder/Bullet
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering what combination you shoot for your .243, I have a Tikka T3

You can "never" have too many Hobbies...

Posts: 2 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 13 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Original surplus H4831 under a Nosler 100 grain Solid Base (not Partition, not Ballistic Tip). Both the powder and the bullet are "obsolete", at least in terms of not being currently produced. This combination exceeds 3100 fps in my gun (gun has a "fast" barrel) and does a number on whitetails and hogs.

To replicate it, the Nosler Solid base bullets are sometimes available from Shooter's Supply as "seconds". Nosler still makes them to supply ammunition manufacturers and sometimes has production overruns available. IMR 7828 SSC or the current H4831 will do as a substitute for the good old surplus stuff.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, welcome to the board. Lots of information and many, many opinions to weigh through.

I have 3 different 243s that shoot 95gr Ballistic Tips really well. One likes RL-22 and the other two I use IMR-4350. I use std primers with the 4350 and mag primers with RL-22. Overall lengths range wbetween 2.715" and 2.735".

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
in my tikka 243 32 grains varget 100 grain sierra gameking shoots .25 groups at 100 yds havent tried it past that yet tikka has really impressed me i always had model 700s before

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used everything mentioned so far with good results on deer. The 95gr load I finally ended up using was with H-4350 instead of IMR as it gave better groups from my rifle. I also had the Partitions loaded with the same load and they did excellent as well.

The last one I worked up was for a Sako and it is using the new Hybrid 100V from Hodgdon. It is using the 100gr Nosler SB's mentioned above. IT has shown velocities in the 3100fps range and groups around 3/8" at 100yds consistently.

I have not found the .243 to be a hard round to get to shoot good. It always seemed harder deciding on which bullet to use and what powder to push it with. Most all of the medium burn rated powders have done well with one bullet or another.

Good luck.,

Mike / Tx

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What do you want to shoot? I have loads that use 58, 70, 85 and 100 grain bullets.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
First of all, thanks to everyone for their help. I'd like to stay with a Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip. I use the Tikka T3 as an all-around firearm from Mule deer to coyotes, bobcats, hogs, etc. (I normally use my Browning .284 for deer, but I have that one dialed in, and "really" like the Tikka) I should have posted that information before (sorry about that).

You can "never" have too many Hobbies...

Posts: 2 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 13 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to stay with a Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip

1.Welcome to the Forums...

2. For that bullet weight, I enjoy using the old standby powders long before the popularity of 4350...

IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 for an MV in the 2800 fps range....

beer

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently loaded Alliant RL19 and both Nosler PT/BT 95 grain for a friend's new Blaser D99 Duo drilling (20/30.06/.243). Both loads shot very well, the PT about 3/4 inch W. of the BT. The BT to the very same POI as the RWS Kegelspitz and the Norma TM.

I am expecting results from shots on game.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H-4831, 100 Hornady/Rem SPT.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThe 58 grain V Max is #1 for accuracy closly followed by the Berger 62 and 68 grain bullets using many different powders. This is in a Ruger Varmint rifle. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote