New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive press question, 550 or 650?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been spending WAY too much time hunched over my trusty rockchucker and have decided to buy a progressive. After asking around, the general concensus is to "go blue" but I am not quite sure what the main differences are between the models. My main concerns are changeover time and ease of setup. I'll likely be loading handgun calibers (45acp, 40s&w, 10mm, 38 special, 357 sig) and two rifle calibers (223 and 220 swift) I'm planning on sticking with my single stage for all me other rifle rounds. So if anyone can fill me in on all the differences, big and little, I would appreciate it. Thanks, John

Posts: 66 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is from a Dillon dealer's page, Brian Enos.com:

The 550 or the 650?

Although one of the tougher comparative decisions, I seldom recommend the 650 over the 550 as your first progressive machine, and never as your first reloading machine in general. The 650, w/Casefeeder and auto-indexing, is a complex machine compared to the 550. However, a few exceptions might be:

* You're an experienced reloader looking to upgrade from another brand.
* Plan to use the machine to load one or two calibers in high volume.
* Are not only tired of messing with your current piece of junk, but in general, would prefer to spend more time either shooting or hanging out with your wife or kids than reloading.
* Price is not an object.
* Your're not afraid of a complex machine.

You usually know if you are ready for the 650. Almost always, the 550 is a better choice over the 650 because of the reasons mentioned in the Sq Deal vs 550 comparison above.
After reading the FAQ and studying "Which Dillon," if you still can't decide which machine is best for you, do this: Call Dillon (1 800 223-4570) and order the 550 and the 650 Video Instruction Manuals, and the Speer #13 Reloading Manual. After studying them, you will probably know which machine is right for you. But if you still don't, call me.

If you think the 550 is probably best for you, but feel you'd really like to get the 650, especially if you have friends with 650's who are pressuring you to buy one - check this discussion in my forum. (You'll have to weed through the "buy from Brian" stuff at the beginning; check tazmo65's post.)

If you are leaning toward the 650 (over the 550) because of the Powder Check System -
Check this thread in my Forum: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25849

Dillon now makes a casefeeder for the RL550B, but it still only has 4 die positions vs. 5 for the XL650, and has manual indexing vs. the auto indexing for the 650.
Some experts don't recommend the 650 for your first progressive as it's more complicated than the 550.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends how much you are shooting......No question about it, the 650 is the top of the line and is the fastest machine. However, personally I think anything beyond the 550 is overkill.

For my pistols I have been using the SDB and I have never needed more....except of course that you are stuck with only pistol cartidges.

If it were me and I felt I wanted more than the SDB I would pick the 550.

Posts: 44 | Location: Key Biscayne, Fl | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had the 450 550 and 650 - without a doubt I'd pick the 650 again

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 550B has manual indexing, the 650 automatic. You can load 400rds an hour on the 550B w/o rushing & maybe 600 in the 650. The 650 costs more, the conversion time is longer, the caliber setups are more. If you need more than 500rds an hour, the choice is obvious. For me, I have 2 550B, one for large & one for small. You can change calibers this way in about 2 min. clap

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I have 2 550B, one for large & one for small. You can change calibers this way in about 2 min. clap
So if i wanted to change from 40cal to 10mm (and assuming I didnt want to monkey with dies and powder measure and had another toolhead configured) all i would need is to change out the toolhead? So if I were to change from 40cal to 45 acp, how long of a changeover can I expect? Those are the three main calibers I load. The others I listed in the first post I probably wont load more than twice a year.

Posts: 66 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a 450B and Wifezilla's getting me a 550B for Christmas (she just doesn't know it yet).

I've been loading on progressive and turret presses for 25 years and I don't want to hassle with more complex.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What fredj338 said!

I have a 550B and I'm buying another so I don't have to change primer feed systems.

I have used a 650 a little bit, and want one really bad. But, the changeover from 550 to 650 is lots of money for all the calibers I load on the 550.

I think I'll just stay with the 550 and dream about the 650. Wink

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well, 40S&W to 10mm is a bit of a problem. The shell plate is the same but you have to change primer assemblies & tool head. I use the same powder measure, just swap from tool head to tool head. I often use diff. powders between the diff. rounds so I have to check anyway.
You could get a tool head & extra powder measures & leave them setup for each caliber. Then switch over is even faster. I seldom load less than 1000rds w/ each setup so switching over isn't that big a deal. For me, it was cheaper to get another 550B than buy new 650 & tool heads for all the calibers I load. Again, you can load 400-500rds on a 550B, even when I was compeating every weekend (800rds a week) I didn't need more speed than that.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know much about 'em.

But what little I can offer would recommend the 650.

One example of a reloading setup

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth.
I have an old Dillon 300 that is set for 45 Auto Rim.
A Square Deal set up for 357. It has not been changed for 12 or so years.
Another Square set up for 45 acp. The only thing that gets changed is the bullet seating stim. I have two molds for 45 acp a H&G 68 clone that weighs in at 220 grains and a Saeco that weighs in at 210 grains. Same powder charge for both.
A 650 that I set up for 45 Colt and occasionally swap out to 44 Mag and 45 acp when I'm loading big lots.
One of these days I may get another 650 for 308 and 30-06.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and assuming I didn't want to monkey with dies and powder measure and had another toolhead configured) all i would need is to change out the toolhead? So if I were to change from 40cal to 45 acp, how long of a changeover can I expect?

Re: RL550B...Going from 40 auto to 45 auto requires the changeover of all 3 basic subassemblies: the toolhead with dies, the shellplate and the primer feed assembly.
Toolhead change takes less than 1 minute.
Shellplate change 2 minutes for unscrewing allen screws.
Primer feed change is more complicated but can easily be done in 5 minutes or less.

Square Deal B can only load straight-walled pistol cartridges. So, the .357SIG is not possible.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote