Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 Special short load
 Login/Join

posted
OK I am a newbie, trying to follow data to the word and getting problems right and left.
I bought .44 bullets from Missouri Bullet Co.
They were #13 Cowboy Lead. After I started seating the 1st one I realized if I seated to the lowest part of the cannelure I was not going to get to the min .44 spl COL data of 1.450" thats according to my Lee die booklet.
I could only get to 1.4450" which is quite a bit less. I sent a email to Missouri Bullet Co but didnt get a reply yet.

Hey Brad,
Thanks for the reply.
I have one more question, when I seat your bullet in a .44 spl Winchester case, the minimum COL according to my Lee die set loading data is minimum of 1.450" ( Max 1.550" ) but if I seat your bullet to barely get the case to your cannelure to factory crimp it, I end up with 1.4450" which is quite a bit shorter than the minimal COL.
I am worried about the pressure in a shorter COL and am a newbie running into loading problems every time I get out of bed.

Usually they are false alarms, I am hoping this is also nothing to be worried about.
What say you?

Jerry

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I can't see .005" on a cast bullet making enough pressure difference to notice.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Of course OAL doesn't mean doodly squat without knowing the length of the projectile. It is the distance the base extends into the case that is important as far as pressures are concerned.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote