New
Find
Notify
Tools

lee crimp die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
this may have been brought up and I have heard tell that this die can cause the brass to "grip" the hardcast bullet of choice- in this case a BRN of 22. I am thinking of instead of buying WWG brass for my .457 Mag to use standard .45-70 and seat bullet below the crimp to acheive the desired COL. Is this crimp die able to "grip" the bullet and not cause it under recoil to slip the bullet in the magazine? Just wondering before I attempt this as a new mold to be cut would definately be spendy-maybe down the road.
regards
Tim

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
i'm missing something here. what is a .457 mag?

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are not missing anything here-.457 Mag is a 2.110" brass opposed to the 2.105" 45-70 something created by the minds at WWG in Anch. and something I was drawn into some years back.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
*If Lee make a crimp die for your cartridge and you use it as per the instructions you will have no worries.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by grizz007:
this may have been brought up and I have heard tell that this die can cause the brass to "grip" the hardcast bullet of choice- in this case a BRN of 22. I am thinking of instead of buying WWG brass for my .457 Mag to use standard .45-70 and seat bullet below the crimp to acheive the desired COL. Is this crimp die able to "grip" the bullet and not cause it under recoil to slip the bullet in the magazine? Just wondering before I attempt this as a new mold to be cut would definately be spendy-maybe down the road.
regards
Tim[/QUOTE

The lee crimp dies work perfect!! cheers
Big Grin

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You can adjust them to crimp more or less as you need it. I accidently turned some .224 bullets into coke bottles with a <.20 diameter.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
It'll crimp right into the bullet, hard cast or jacketed. If there wasn't a cannelure there to start with, there will be.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
you are not missing anything here-.457 Mag is a 2.110" brass opposed to the 2.105" 45-70 something created by the minds at WWG in Anch. and something I was drawn into some years back.

okey dokey, see even a 70 year old can learn something. i was not familiar with the round. thanks.

that ought to be a bear stomper. what gr bullets do you use?

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
WWG guns invented this round to promote his Business in modified Marlin's. Now the 450 Marlin is out little need for it. I handload my Marlin up to the same levels as WWG at 40000 PSI...with a good Hardcast 350 FNGC bullet and RL 7 in the 45-70. I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die to apply the Crimp....works excellent!

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote