New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Problem
 Login/Join

Picture of lilguy43uk
posted
I'm just setting up a new Lee turret press (4 hole) .308cal dies. The press indexes OK but there is a problem with the turret rotating too early when using the bullet seating die.

As I lower the ram the turret starts to rotate before the bullet is clear of the die, jamming it against the side of the die. The only way to clear it is to unscrew the die.

The die is adjusted according to the Lee instructions (screw in until it meets the shellholder, lower the ram and screw in another 1/4 of a turn).

I've run 2 test batches with the bullet seated to 2 different depths but to no avail. The index clamp around the ram is as far up as it will go,

Overall cartridge lengths are.....

Load 1 : 2.465"
Load 2 : 2.583" both with 130 gn round nose cast bullets

Maximum OAL for the cartridge is given as 2.810"

Any suggestions as to how to clear this? I've been all over the Lee website but there's nothing on about this problem

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 23 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're not crimping, back out your seater die and then screw in the seating stem adjuster until you get the OAL you want. I think the "all the way down +1/4 turn" applies to the sizing die for FL sizing, doesn't it?

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of lilguy43uk
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply my friend, however, I've had to dismantle the auto-index mechanism and turn the turret by hand. To be honest this suits my style of working better as I can perform the same operation on all my ammunition rather than sequentially.

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 23 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Lee web site. They have a video clip on how to time the press.