New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slow and quiet 243 load advice please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Economics is rearing it's ugly head in my 6x47 project.

Cheapest I can do it is a lot of money. I've just found a new Zastava 243 for a lot lot less money, I have the dies and the space on my licence and no worries about achieving legal velocities, I am sorely tempted.

I want to shoot 90gr ballistic tips as quietly and pleasantly as possible - I note from my Lee load info (that comes with the dies) that I can go to small amounts of IMR 4227 (max 25gr)or SR4579 (max 24.5gr)with 100gr bullets.

These appear to give the velocities I was after in my 6x47 but I wonder if it is advisable as at these weights I will be only half filling the case.

I wanted reassurance that I was not going to get flashover or detonation or any other bad things. I will not (ever) use filler and will certainly not be bothering with elevating the rifle before firing.

My apologies to Stonecreek and ScottH for potentialy wasting all your helpfull information but this works out to be 30% of the cost of a 6x47!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My time is your time, 1894.

I haven't really tried reduced loads in a .243 in years, but IMR 4227 and IMR 4198 have worked pretty well for me in other reduced loads for centerfire calibers.

Although I have heard of "Secondary Explosion Effect" with slow powders, I have never heard of it with powders as fast as 4227 or 4198, so I think you'll be okay in that respect.

If you have access to a chronograph, just start low with your pick of powders and increase the charge until you get the velocity/accuracy you're seeking. Velocity deviation will likely be higher than you're accustomed to, but if sufficient accuracy is there, so what?

P.S. I have never used any, but SR 4759 has always had a reputation as an outstanding reduced load powder. Don't even know if it's available any more. Also, I think Accurate 5744 is also touted for reduced loads.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The SR powders are nearly twice as bulky as extruded powders, so there is not that much concern about empty space in cases. It is designed for reduced loads. My experience is that it never is the most accurate load, but always good enough for the intended purpose. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote