Find
Notify
Tools

Prvi Partisan brass vs Shellholder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted
I have a fair amount of reloading experience but this is a new one for me. I am working on loading some new 9.3 x 62mm Prvi Partisan brass that was included with a rifle I bought on the Classifieds here a few months back. I noticed that the primer pockets did not look too good and a lot of the flash holes had burrs in them, so I tediously remedied these problems yesterday while watching football on TV. Now when I try to size them, I find that they do not fit in my Redding #1 shellholder. They will not slide in smoothly, although I can force a few of them in and wrestle them back out. No problems previously with hundreds of rounds of Norma and Lapua brass. I am beginning to wonder whether this stuff is worth fooling with any more, but I have done a little bit of a search of this board and found that Prvi Partisan brass is generally well-regarded on this forum. Has this happened to anyone before and what do you do about it? Again, this is new brass. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with their 7x57 brass. It was also very tight under my MKX extractor. I returned it to Grafs. They said the had a shell holder that would work but I didn't want to fool with different holders and altering my extractor.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the SAME problem with their 8x60S cases and RCBS No3 shellholder.

I fortunately had two other RCBS No3 shellholders and they did work OK.

So, like Sherlock Holmes, I've deduced that it may just be a question of this.

A USA made item machined in fractions of inches to minimum allowable specification not "marrying" with an item from "Yurrup" made in fractions of centimetres to maximum allowable specification.

Now before you all laugh this is written by a "Brit" who knows about this sort of thing!

Why?

Because EXACTLY the same problem was found with the British made L1A1 SLR and the Belgian FN-FAL!

Both made from exactly the same drawings...except that the British drawings were first converted to inches before the gun parts were made.

And so although supposedly being EXACTLY the same to the same set of drawings the parts wouldn't interchange!

As to the primer pockets I also found that using an RCBS Primer Pocket Swage was useful.

So I'd simply take some of the stiff cases to your local gun shop and ask to try them against a selection of a number of Redding No1 (or RCBS No3) shellholders.

You WILL find one that does work. I promise!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
enfieldspares

I don't believe anyone's laughing ; Manufacturing standards are not always held in exacting dimensions and things happen !.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
That idea makes sense to me. Unfortunately, I only have one #1 shellholder; only supposed to need one, right? I did notice that my Redding die box for 6.5 x 55 says "Shellholder #!/#7," so I tried the case in it. It fits, but it doesn't seem to hold the case as high up into the die, I would have to adjust my sizing die. Meanwhile I also found I can lever the cases in and out of the #1 and it doesn't seem to be affecting the sizing operation.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with Graf brass (which I think may have been made by PRVI).

I just tried a couple of the shell holders in my pile and found one that works.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It happed to me as well and like everyone else I just looked till I found a shell holder that worked. Otherwise the brass works well

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems I have read somewhere that some of the european rounds have a larger base diameter than the .473 of the 30-06 type blanks which is the standard in the USA. They still use this larger diameter when making brass for "American" cartridges. It seems that it is close enough to work.
Conversely, the American companies use the basic 30-06 blank when they make european cartridges. Again it is close enough to work.
While in my books, the 7x57 etc are shown with the same head diameter as a 30-06, the 6.5 Swede is shown with a .480 diameter.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are things called CIP and SAMMI

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, this problem is quite commonly encountered - primarily with European brass. I have it had happen at least with Lapua and RWS brass.

I managed to work around the problem by using a shellholder for the 6.5x55 - just a tad larger than the standard .30-06/.308/.270 Win case head.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forster rules!!

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc224/375: Are you saying that 50+50 dose not always equal 100?

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote