Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Trimming for Handgun Loads
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to reloading and am trying to figure out about whether case trimming is needed for handgun loads. I have a .40SW and a .357 magnum and can't find a real answer. I was assuming that case trimming is needed on any case that measures too long, but I did not see anything in the instructional videos I have been watching that shows trimming a handgun case, only rifle cases. I want to be sure I'm doing things right, so if I need to buy a case trimmer I want to go ahead and get one. Thanks!

Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should check them. Pistols do not produce the pressures of rifles but the brass is thinner and should still be checked. Ctgs like 9mm are fairly high pressure. Consistent case length will also help with accuracy and if you crimp.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Many thanks!

Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't be working the brass nearly as hard as FL sizing a bottlenecked rifle case, but like the man says, it's worth checking. I like the Lee trimmers for handgun cases; you can check and trim in one operation.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote