Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Pocket & Flash Hole question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted
I have some Rem 6.5mm Brass(fired) that the Flash hole is obviously not dead nutz center in the Primer Pocket, what kind of issues may this have on case or bullet performance?

Thanks in advance.
SWDF

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
If it's severely off center it may be slightly blocked by one of the legs of the anvil but in reality it probably won't make a difference

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerBroken knock out pins! thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Didn't think of that but yeah they sure would

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's been fired once and is close enough to centered that you could knock out the spent primer, I wouldn't worry about it.
If you're really angsting about it, load up say 10 rounds with centered flash holes and 10 of the off centered ones and put them in seperate bags. Have a friend switch the bags around so's you won't know which one you're shooting and see if there is any loss of accuracy.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

That could happen all right, Roger.

But, if the brass shoots accurately enough, there is a solution to the broken knock-out pin problem which is much less expensive than a custom die. Go to the Lee site, and order one (or a pair...large, and small) of their hammer-type knockout pins and bases. I've been using a pair for decapping crimped military brass for over 30 years now and have never broken one of those. The are built strong...about like comparing a garden trowel blade to that of a D-9 Cat.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it could also be a case of the case sitting in the bottom of the chamber.
brass too small and chamber a bit big.
try neck sizing some fireformed cases.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bartsche:

That could happen all right, Roger. Happened more than once,AC

Also use a hammer and home grown knock out set up on crimped primers. Drill a hole in a steel block so you can set shell holders in. 90 degrees to that holes bottom drill the primer exit hole. My punch is a turned down screwdriver. Think it has been in use 30 years plus.Also good for putting a slight flare arond the hole inside. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote