Notify
Tools

Bullets for 7mm WSM Target Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted

[ 08-19-2003, 08:41: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be tearing up the prone matches with that baby. What is the rifle made up from? action? Stock? Sights?

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell us more. I like that cartridge and am shooting a sporter with the standard twist. However long range target shooting, F matches and even varmint hunting at long range are on the table.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wow, floating bullets... where can I get some? heh
Never heard of Cauterucio, what is the specifics on those?

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
You should be tearing up the prone matches with that baby. What is the rifle made up from? action? Stock? Sights?

Rifle is currently awaiting barrel and stock.

Here is the design:

This is a 7mm WSM Long Range Target Rifle, employing state of the art optics, stock and barrel technologies.

Scope

USO SN-3 3.2-17x44/58 SHR Optics with 30mm tube
Horus Vision H-25 Reticle
Aluminum objective and eyepiece cover
4� Mirage tube
No lit reticle

USO Tactical Rings
Short Base for Winchester Classic WSM action

Rifle

Winchester Model 70 Classic Short action Magnum-Blue Finish
Barrel is Lilja 28in #7 pattern with 3 groove rifling
7mm WSM: 176 or 180 grain VLD 2900FPS
Stock is McMillan A-5
Trigger Jewel 2 stage 1#

Summary

I expect the rifle will fire a 176 grain VLD at roughly 2900 fps out of a 28" tube (3 groove, #7 pattern Lilja). Reloader 22 or VV N165 have been tentatively identified as the powder of choice.

[ 07-04-2003, 05:05: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those bullets look a lot like the 168 Sierra MKs I just tested with my 7WSM. I got the best velocity for my first try with WXR (65.5), RL-19 (64.0) and H1000 (69.6). All over 2900. From 2971 to 2938. Very good accuracy also.

How much do those bullets cost? I know Berger are premium bullets. Also how long can you seat your bullets out? With my Browning, I can go 2.860" but it has a 23" barrel. BM

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Can't say yet, got to wait for parts to finish assembling the rifle before I can load the rounds.

Several weeks to go before the barrel and stock are received.

Bullets are about $24 per 100.

[ 07-04-2003, 09:05: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great tactical/target rifle. USO SN3, very nice. Also a A5, I have heard a little about them, but I would like to read some more, I wonder how it would compare to McMillans Prone stock for long range target. From the few pics I have seen it looks like it would work for both F-Class and Prone.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
 -
 -

(Sorry about the poor imaging,but my photo host seriously sucks)

The A5 suits me much better than anticipated,as there has been much hype surrounding it's unveiling and my tastes are sorta fickle.

I find it to be versatile in the extreme and very comfortable from most any contortion or rest. In a word it is fabulous and I'm gonna get a couple more coming my way.

Kelly did a grand job of listening to input and really rung the bell on the A5. I prefer it to the other A-series(A2 being my prior favorite for a niche rifle and the M40A1 as the king of versatility).

Your mileage may vary.....................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn you Big Stick. I might have to go and buy one of those now, and that means I need a rifle to go in it. The 22-243 has always sparked my intrest, MRC action, 1-8in barrel.....
Look what you have done.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot. Twist on Lilja three groove will be 1 in 9. Smith got Dan Lilja's opinion on the above bullets and he agrees that 1/9 twist is sufficient for those bullets.

D. [Smile]