Find
Notify
Tools

.38 snubbie loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
What have you guys used? I want this load for economy but realistic practice. I have shot a bit of .45 in IDPA style matches but nothing so short. It looks to be a fun experience with an easy to carry arm. I am carrying the Remington +P 125 gr HPs. Thanks. Packrattusnongratus

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2" S&W 60. I shoot 158s because of the short barrel. No way you will utilize the velocity capability of the 125gr loads with a short barrel.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lean towards faster propellants and you'll lose less velocity with the short barrel.

The fact is that a 38 can't drive most 158gr bullets fast enough for reliable expansion.

125's? yes.

You lose velocity with the shorter barrel, but what ever speed you can achieve can only aid reliable expansion.

But that being said use factory ammo for self defence if only because it denies an arguement to someone prosecuting or suing you.

Practice with ammunition as similar to what you will use as carry ammunition as possible

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 5.7gr Unique or 6.5gr WAP with anyone's 125JHP. For not much less velocity try 3.5 Trail Boss. My carry load is the Gold Dot 135 gr for short barrels. Much less flash than other loads I've tried.

Mike

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had good results using AA#2 which is a fast pistol powder. With 125gr Hornady XTP's and Rem 125SJHP's I've tested AA#2 from 4.8-5.2 grains, using CCI500 primers and an overall length at 1.440-1.445". Data available at Accurate Arms website.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I saw the Speer load for short barrels in the Midway catalogue. That sounds good for a carry load. Now to try to duplicate it for practice? Any more ideas for a duplicate load I can afford to practice with? Oh I forgot to mention it is a 638 S&W I'm shooting. Sweet to carry. Thanks. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used .38 Spl. 148 gr. Hollow-Based Wadcutters reversed for the ultimate Hollow Point.

You don't want the "skirt" or Hollow Base to open up or start mushrooming prior to entering the forcing cone, so this is a low velocity load.

Start with the regular, vanilla-flavored 2.8 grs. of Bullseye and work up in LITTLE increments (and it won't take much, either).

At the ranges a snubby is meant to be used at they'll expand from @ $.50 to the size of a silver dollar.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 158 gr +P SWC HP has been my default bellygun load since 1980 (where does the time go?!!). By happy coincidence it and the 158 gr service and 148 midrange loads shoot to the fixed sights of a J-frame at seven yards. The latter two are easily duplicated using the usual recipes from the usual sources.