New
Find
Notify
Tools

219 Donaldson Wasp case forming........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trying to run 219 Zipper brass today through the 219 D. Wasp FL die, neck and shoulder comes out about right but below shoulder, a massive stovepipe (collapse). Even when I trimmed to right length, shoulder still collapsed......how to cure? Also, have some 25-35 brass to form, has anyone formed 219 D. Wasp from this? Thanks, r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Wasp is appreciably shorter than the .219 WCF. (Or .25/35 WCF). Both were .30/30 length. .219 is the .30/30 necked down. I don't remember exactly, but Mr. D was quite proud to have reduced the case length and put on the sharp shoulder. So you have to move the shoulder back and unless the body brass is maluable.

I suspect you need a good anneal before that shoulder will move without a lot of problems. And the best lubes. Imperial Die Wax is tops although lanolin was the natural standard from the beginning.

Of course the factories, Huntingtons.com, ch4d.com, Redding? Lee? Hornady? will make a form die set for big bucks that does things slowly and gently and loses you fewest cases. Your call. luck.

RCBS before the Blount buy out used to give away directions to their form die sets free or for a stamp. You might ask Huntingtons.com. (RCBS custom shop Blount didn't want.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray

I have formed 219 wasp brass in one pass thru the FL die but some times it simply does not work. It really depends on the brand of brass that you start with.

Annealing may help but my guess is it will just make it worse. The softer brass will have even more tendancy to collapse.

I'd recommend using an intermediate step that will move the shoulder back and partially size the neck and then a final neck down. You may have a die from another caliber that will do that but if not you'll probably have to find someone (friend) who does.

A set of forming dies will work but they are expensive.

Good Luck

The other Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need an intermediate die or two or 3 to push the shoulder back. Maybe a 7MM BR sizer then a cut off 6.5 Jap sizer and then a cut off .250 Savage sizer. Then 6mm BR sizer. You might need only one or two of these but it might take more.

Some times the Wasp form dies show up on Ebay but they bring a premium.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sharps Borchardt in 219 D. Wasp. I ran into the same problem. The solution that works for me is to set the shoulder back with a 30/30 full length sizing die. I took a regular 30/30 die and shortened it about a half inch with an angle grinder. It supports the case so it will not collapse. I then run it through a 6mm Sako stubby die to reduce the neck. Finally full length size in the 219 D.W. die. Works great, is a lot cheaper than forming dies and I never lose any cases.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The easy way out is to order it from www.eabco.com Big Grin

I have not priced it in a while, but the last I recall was around $40 per 100.

I get 6.5 BRM brass from there to turn into 6.5 Bullberry IMP. The specs are so close that fireforming is minimal.

I also use their 7US brass to ff into 7mm Bullberry. I guess I have gotten lazy as I have become older... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 338guy:
I have a Sharps Borchardt in 219 D. Wasp. I ran into the same problem. The solution that works for me is to set the shoulder back with a 30/30 full length sizing die. I took a regular 30/30 die and shortened it about a half inch with an angle grinder. It supports the case so it will not collapse. I then run it through a 6mm Sako stubby die to reduce the neck. Finally full length size in the 219 D.W. die. Works great, is a lot cheaper than forming dies and I never lose any cases.

A .30 Herrett die would work right out of the
box and they are relatively easy to find.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I have a Redding form die that makes 30-30 brass into donaldson in one pass , but mostley destroys Dominion 22 Savage brass...

I suspect brass age and quality has much to do with it.

You do realise there are two case lenghts available in 219 DW ? I found a bunch of formed cases on E-Barf some years ago , loaded em and wondered why many had split shoulders on firing . Turned out they were the shorter case length ,old brass and didnt like the load I was using ...hence I now have a form die and a sack full of 30-30 brass.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Ray

here is a photo of the two case variants - I beleive I was wrong about differing OAL for the case - its actually shoulder position/neck length that varies , due I beleive to one of the chamber reamer makers being supplied specs that forgot to show the rim thicknes , which corresponds to the difference in neck length between the two cases shown . Thats the story I was given anyway , maybe right , maybe wrong .

Man this is difficult posting pics to this site... Mad

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real fine sir, you did good. Can't enlarge those photos to read p/n's from Redding box but went into Sinclair's catalog site this morning and should be able to pick something out. I have both 219 Zipper and 25-35 brass to reform...(don't have to, but have the brass)(not trying to save money, trying to reload & learn new tricks) (reloading since 1961). Took a look at N.Z. real estate today, what mansions!
Thanks a lot, believe I have the short variety and Illinois guy will sell me 100 reformed D. Wasp. cases for $40 plus shipping, maybe I will go that way........thanks a million. Ray

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the pic size ray - not sure what happened there , but it was a mission to get any pic to appear so who knows...

The Redding form/trim die number is 83403. I should have posted that as well at the time , and Ive been away for the past couple of days and not had computer access either.

Hope you are right now , despite all that . Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello sir, peering through my catalogs last night, I will place an order to Graf's for this die number.......am also ordering a 300 Whisper die for the T/C Super 14 bbl........not that I need this, just doing it for fun.......you did real good, thanks plenty, r in s.