Find
Notify
Tools

Best Value 8x57 Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Getting ready to start reloading for my 8x57 and wanted to get opinions on the best brass - especially for high pressure loads.

I looked at Norma, they were quite expensive versus Hornady, Winchester, and Remington.

Question:
Recommended 8x57 Brass

Choices:
Norma
Hornady
Remington
Winchester
Hornady/Remington/Winchester - all about equal

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3069 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For many years Norma's brass was considerably softer in the head than American brass and allowed expanded primer pockets at otherwise nominal pressures. Whether this remains the case I wouldn't know since the price of Norma brass deters me from trying any simply for curiosity's sake.

Up until I came across an offer of a nice batch of once-fired Federal 8x57 brass, all of my 8x57 brass was headstamped "R-P .30-06 Spfld". 8x57 is no different from any other brass with the standard .470 rimless head. Any of the commonly available brands of brass will do just fine. The primary difference between the run-of-the mill American brands and something truly premium like Lapua is the initial consistency in neck diameter and length. Once the Remchester stuff is run through a neck sizer and trimmed to a uniform length it does 99.9% of what the Lapua will do (regardless of the horror stories about the dreaded "flashhole burrs".)

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3069 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornAs usual Stonecreek has it right.
tu2the first cartridge for which I loaded (1957) was the 8 X 57 and shot in my G-43 .
I only had 19 commercial cases and made many out of 06 military brass.
old These were cut to length,FL sized, and given a final length trim , than ID and OD chamfered. I didn't have any Idea of neck turning at the time and was lucky I guess that they didn't need it.
This is all well and good ,but totally adequate 8 X 57 brass can be had from S&B, RP, and PRVI just to mention a few.
sofa If you are looking to use these for hunting Norma or Lapua are an expense not needed. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
For many years Norma's brass was considerably softer in the head than American brass and allowed expanded primer pockets at otherwise nominal pressures. Whether this remains the case I wouldn't know since the price of Norma brass deters me from trying any simply for curiosity's sake.)

I have no idea if Norma's advertising is truthful or not, but Norma (or Midsouth) now says the Norma brass is harder in the head and body areas and the neck and shoulder areas are annealed. I don't remember the exact wording but it supposeedly now has a much longer reloading life cycle.
I bought 50 pieces for my new project so I will soon find out.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really can't make a comparison as I've only used RP. And it's worked fine so I went no further. IMO, you're overthinking things or maybe addressing a problem that doesn't exist.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used all types of brass, but over the last ten years I shifted my buying practices (NOT because I have any money to speak of).

I use RWS, Norma and Lapua brass whenever possible; because it is such a good value. Even with moderately strong loads these brands last for a long time, IF you resize minimally and anneal every two to four loading cycles (annealing frequency is dictated by too many factors to list them all here - basically the hotter the load, the more often I anneal it.)

I feel that cartridges are like camera film used to be; the cheapest parts of the hunt/vacation.

With a tight chamber and a well matched sizer die, I have gotten 15 - 20 safe reloads per case with the three brands listed above. These three brands are all owned by the same conglomerate. Each has made runs of brass for the others. In particular, Norma has made many cases for Lapua, and all cases for Weatherby.

I particularly like Normas 416 Rigby, 416 Remington Magnum and 458 Winchester Magnum. Lapua is my go to brand for high pressure competition loads, and RWS also just lasts and lasts.

I am OCD type with primer flash holes and primer pockets. I check them all, but hardly ever have to work on that area with those brands.

There are quite a few cartridges that are loaded very lightly by our ammunition manufacturers out of respect for the existence of some old rifles. The empty cases in those calibers tend to be almost fragile. The better European cases are all made strong enough to handle 60,000 to 65,000 psi, depending on caliber. That way you can take a modern rifle (or a re-carburized Mauser 98 that is in spec for size and roundness) with a modern barrel and load your 8 x 57, 6.5 x 55, etc. up to accepted safe pressures for the 30-06, .270 Winchester, and so on. The results will bring a big smile to your face. Out

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I plan to keep it in the 50-52K PSI range. It's on a real nice 1916 action.

Now, I do want to build an 8x57 on a Howa or Remington action with 25" barrel and really "boost" it!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I suspect the best value for the money these days is Prvi Partisan. It too is excellent quality European-made brass (from Serbia), made for use world wide including where loaders stuff their hulls to European 8x57 pressures.

I have been using it since the late 1980s in half a dozen or more chamberings and for me it has worked every bit as well as Norma and Lapua but at a fraction of their cost.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote