Find
Notify
Tools

30 cal 180 Speer BT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Very specific question....

Has anyone shot any game with the 30 cal 180 gr SPEER BT????

Thanks

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a Crow with one, it gave total penetration.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<lokey>
posted
Shot a 165lb Black-tail buck w/one out of a .308. Range was 100 yards. Bullet broke the entrance shoulder, destroyed the heart, 1 lung, liver, kidney, bowels, and exited the off hip. Any bullet that will destroy two ball joints, and nearly every major organ is a good bullet in my book! ~lokey

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot game with the Speer 180 BT, but have done some paper-medium penetration and expansion comparisons to other bullets with it. Speaking in general terms, it does not hold together very well or penetrate as deeply in dense, dry paper as would its flat base counterpart. The tapered heel of the boat tail tends not to hold onto the lead core very well (and the Speer boat tails are not "Hot Cor").

That said, I believe that for use at .308 velocities, it is as tough as need be and would penetrate adequately, as the previous post indicates. Over-penetration and inadequate expansion seem to be in vougue with many hunters these days, but a bullet like the Speer will typically give you quicker and surer kills than those "buffalo busters" that our hairy-chested friends insist on using (so they can have a "good blood trail" to follow 300 yards instead of just looking down and finding their quarry dead less than fifty feet from where it was shot!)

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote