New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ignored Old Reloading Rule And.........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know that when you change componants, you should lower your powder charge 10% and work up watching for pressure signs, but I was too lazy. I had worked up a nice fast load for my 7 Rem. Mag. using IMR 7828, Win. Primer and the 175 gr. Horn. -no pressure signs and good accuracy. I decided to try Fed. 210 primers hoping for a little more consistant accuracy - everything else the same - did not cut back on the powder charge. The first shot bolt lift was barely sticky, but case showed no pressure signs. Next shot locked bolt real good - couldn't get it open with a rubber hammer. Took it to gunsmith - he tried to open it briefly and was not able to, but says he will work on it some more. I am assuming my problem was high pressure, but could it be something else?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell us the powder charge and I'll run it past quickload. I had some friends that prairie dog hunt and found some surplus aa powder. They worked up a load but ran out of primers. Got out another brand a loaded many hundred rounds--bad news almost (not quite as bad) results. They said it was real fun pulling that load down. Is it possible you over charged one case?? I've had it happen before and probably will again.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guy,
I have used both these primers and find that they are very similar in their heat. It is your load, but I am very surprised that substituting 210's for WLR primers would generate the problem you described. I would be more inclined to look for someother cause-ambient heat, case length, etc. Was you load right at or slightly in excess of max? Please keep us informed. I confess I am guilty of changing primers within types (Large Rifle to Large Rifle or Mag Rifle to Mag Rifle) without a reduction of 10%, and I am interested in your experience. Thanks. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not the switch in primers that got you in trouble.

Maybe you put in 4831 by mistake, as it looks just like 7828.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I suppose you'll never know, but it could be as simple as powder bridging in your powder measure (undercharging one case, overcharging the next). I've done it. Pretty upsetting. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cutting back 10% is age old reloading wisdom. It came about becasue of the very thing you did; switch a component without cutting back the charge. While there may have been an over charge and a mixup of powder, that is speculation. The only provable thing is the primer change. After 40 some years of reloading and a few less years of marriage, there are two things I won't fool around on; wife and reloading. Both would be explosive. I NEVER keep more than one powder on my reloading bench. If I want to switch powder, I close the one I have, carry it down the basement to my storage area then carry the new powder to the bench.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
I had a problem at the other end of the scale, using CCI LR primers in 6.5x55, and ignition was so poor that I was getting soot down the side of the cases. Changed to Fed 210s, and that problem all but disappeared. One explanation I have heard suggested is that the priming compound is made of more coarse particles, which penetrate better through the powder charge, causing more complete/faster ignition. Whatever the case, it just isn't as simple as being hotter or whatever. Go back to the start and work up again.

I have found the Fed 210s very satisfactory, given what I said above.

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-dude - the cases had been trimmed and the temp. was basically the same in the mid 90's - I had had problem with consistant accuracy with the load using Win. primers and on the recommendation of a gunsmith (he said the barrel showed lots of copper), I cleaned the barrel down to the medal using CR -10 before trying the Fed. primers.

Terry - it was definately 7828 - it was the only powder on the table.

Dutch - every charge was dropped under weight and I used a trickler to bring the charge up to the correct weight.

I still do not think the problem was the change in primers. The load was about 1.5 grs. over max in the manuel I was using. For some reason the load with the Win. primer just has not shown the usual pressure signs - I consider what happened a warning sign and I will cut the load a few grains, run it over the Oehler and see how it looks. The gunsmith mentioned it might be a mecanical problem with the gun itself. If he manages to get the bolt open we can get a look at the case and see what's what. Thanks for the comments guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Switching from a 210 to a 215 sure can make a difference, It recently happened to me when I did just that in my 9.3 x62 I blew two primers in sucession with the 215..went back to 210's and not a problem...there was 169 FPS difference in those loads with a primer switch. I learned a good lesson then as I had never experienced this before.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
I am curious in knowing was it your goal to blow the gun apart? By your post you almost accomplished that goal. When you knew what the Maximum load listed in your reloading book is why did you continue to add more powder? You are one lucky guy who could have been maimed or even killed by poor relaoding practices.

Do you have a clue why they print do not exceed maximum load listed in those reloading books. It means do not exceed the maximum load listed for the cartridge your loading. The average run of the mill factory rifle should withstand a 1.5 grain over charge. My guess is since you don't heed reloading book warnings regarding do not exceed maximum load listed. You have been doing that on regular basis and have caused your rifles action to fail with a steady diet of hot loads. Any rifle that is given a steady diet of hot loads will fail just as yours did. It is almost a certain fact that this is not the first hot load you have fired in that rifle. If it was your rifle was a substandard poorly made rifle to begin with to lock up with only one load 1.5 grains above Max causing it fail.

I have over 45 years experience reloading my own ammo and have seen rifles that were blown apart by reloaders who did exactly what you have been doing. Any well constructed rifle should be able to stand one above max load of 1.5 grains better than a squibb load or undercharged case.

My advice to you is get your head back between your ears and believe your reloading books warnings with maximum load listed. This is one of those Paul Harvey and now the rest of the story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerK:
I NEVER keep more than one powder on my reloading bench. If I want to switch powder, I close the one I have, carry it down the basement to my storage area then carry the new powder to the bench.

Amen to that brother. I use VV exclusively. 150 is a very similar number to 160. I have a tick system. I write the load out from the book, I get the can of powder I look at the number on both and then I tick it. I do the same when I return it. Helps me sleep easier.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Were you using a balance beam scale? I had the same problem once when the counterweight on the beam slipped a gog. All my loads ended up being 5 grains heavy. Not good in a 7mm-08.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Primers do make a difference. I used to shoot a load of 40.7 gr. of IMR 4895 behind a 168 gr. Sierra MK. using CCI BR-2 primers.A ver mild load that shoot bugholes out of old rebarreled 788 Remington velocity ran 2525 from the 24" tube. Out of curiosity I tried the 210M. While it was still a mild load the velocity went up to 2590. They do develop more pressure. I also tried the same thing with a load using N550 behind a 165 grain Sierra GameKing. Same results more velocity. Velocity is cuased by pressure. I know the 210M's are hotter than the CCI BR-2. My 2 cents worth.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.........RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote