New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginners reloading kit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Once in a while the question comes up as to which reloading kit a beginner should buy. There are usually lots of suggestions but the general thread is "don't buy a kit." Most people reason that you can get better gear and spend less money by shopping around and getting stuff from a range of manufacturers.

I'm a beginner myself but have most of what I really need, and in truth if you eliminate all the gadgets it isn't actually that much. I wonder if it might be useful to have a sticky thread, perhaps under the management of a moderator, which contains a list of equipment that is generally considered good and necessary. It would be such a help to the beginner and while we would never get everyone to agree I'm sure we would get some sort of consensus. Perhaps there could be several lists for high volume, low volume, budget, etc.

For the low volume budget user I would propose the Lee Zip trim with shell holder/cordless drill chuck as a good value and excellent way to trim rifle cases. I also like my Lee Autoprime. So, to get things going I would propose them for the list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone has their idea of what is best. If a newbie has a mentor, he's a leg up because the mentor can help him with his selections. If he is breaking totally new ground, then a kit is not a bad idea.
I don't see in the threads I've read that buying a kit is a bad idea but rather which kit is best to buy. And what level kit. Me personally, I've reloaded for over 40 years and still cannot see a reason for having one of the monster presses that cost in excess of $200.00.
Of course, if a fellow was an experienced reloader, buying a new outfit, he would end up with a Bull Durham assortment of stuff from the different manufacturers. But when you read some of the list that people compile, they are downright silly. One fellow will say that it is "impossible" to reload with a set of cheap chinese calipers. One must have a set of german calipers that cost $xxx. I think often these list are more wish list than they are reality.
I think everyone that hopes to reload should go to a sporting shop and have the clerk show him a Lee Loader. He should spread the components out on the counter and know that and a plastic mallet is all you need to reload. A few bullets, primers, and powder. I daresay millions of rounds, and hundreds of thousands of heads of game have fallen to ammo crafted with Lee Loaders. Everything beyond that is whistles and bells. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree stillbeeman but perhaps some guidelines for the beginner, and I certainly count in that group, might be helpful. Here is what I use, the only thing missing is the press:

Would this make a minimum low volume, one rifle cartridge kit? There might be a few things there I could do without but for me they make the process easier and so are worth having. For someone starting out to buy their equipment it might be useful to see what others use and what they feel is a minimum requirement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, that looks good to me. If everybody would start out like that and add to it as their knowledge and needs grew, they'd have less "looked good but didn't work" junque sitting idle on the shelf (like I've got) Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caorach:
I wonder if it might be useful to have a sticky thread, perhaps under the management of a moderator, which contains a list of equipment that is generally considered good and necessary? It would be such a help to the beginner and while we would never get everyone to agree I'm sure we would get some sort of consensus. Perhaps there could be several lists for high volume, low volume, budget, etc.

Would your scale be on any of the lists?

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
quote:
I wonder if it might be useful to have a sticky thread, perhaps under the management of a moderator, which contains a list of equipment that is generally considered good and necessary? It would be such a help to the beginner and while we would never get everyone to agree I'm sure we would get some sort of consensus. Perhaps there could be several lists for high volume, low volume, budget, etc.

Would your scale be on any of the lists?

I would not get a balance beam scale as they are slow compared to a simple electronic pan scale.

I'm not talking about the fancy smancy electroic weighing set-ups, just a good electronic pan scale.

I throw my charges about .2-.3 gr light W/a powder measure, put that on the scale, then use a tricler to finish.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can say for the scale is it is repeatable and works for me. I don't think it is especially well made and am sure there is much better out there but on the other hand it wasn't overly expensive. Does anyone have alternative recommendations?

However, I will confess that I'd like one of those digital things that throws the charge for me but I tend to only load up to 100 rounds at a time and I don't think the time saving would justify the cost, especially here in the UK where things are just so much more expensive than in the US. It is also the case that for 10 or 20 rounds it would probably take longer to set up the digital machine than just dump the powder into the pan of the Lee scale.

I bought the bits over a period of several years adding things when I neeed them. I could probably do without the powder trickler for example but it makes my life easier so I acquired one. While I don't want any more bits than I need I also don't want to make life difficult for myself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I can say for the scale is it is repeatable and works for me. I don't think it is especially well made and am sure there is much better out there but on the other hand it wasn't overly expensive. Does anyone have alternative recommendations?

However, I will confess that I'd like one of those digital things that throws the charge for me but I tend to only load up to 100 rounds at a time and I don't think the time saving would justify the cost, especially here in the UK where things are just so much more expensive than in the US. It is also the case that for 10 or 20 rounds it would probably take longer to set up the digital machine than just dump the powder into the pan of the Lee scale.

I bought the bits over a period of several years adding things when I neeed them. I could probably do without the powder trickler for example but it makes my life easier so I acquired one. While I don't want any more bits than I need I also don't want to make life difficult for myself.

I am not talking about the elaborate scales that automaticly measure out the powder to the last 1/10th gr.

I already had a Lyman 1000 gr digital scale that I used to weigh wood arrow shafts on a production basis. I also had an RCBS balance beam scale I used when I cast muzzle loader bullets.

When I started reloading metalic suppositories, I new how much easier & faster the digital scale would be, so I never even broke out the balance beam. As far as set-up? It stays in place on my bench W/a plastic cover over the pan. To "set-up" I merely push the "on" button followed by the "zero" button & I'm ready to go. I throw the initial charge W/my MidwayUSA "Indespensable" powder measure just a few 10ths shy & finish out W/my MidwayUSA battery powered trickler.

Here is a simple digital scale from Cabela's that is only afew $$ more than a balance beam.

If a beginner has not already purchased a balance beam, this seems like more bang for the buck.

Oh BTW, I opted for old fashioned dial calipers as the (cheap) digital ones I got W/my "kit" were junk. I sent back 2 of them before opting for the dial calipers. If you go W/digital calipers, spend the $$$$ for a good set. Otherwise, just get a dial caliper.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an interesting angle that for the beginner starting from the ground up a digital scale might indeed be the best solution, I've never used one so I can't dispute this and I can easily see how a digital would be better to use. If I could justify it I would buy a digital scale. I bought the Lee because it was what was available and it works fine for me. The Lyman digital scale is about £118 ($197) here in the UK while the Lee is about £25 ($41) so there is a significant difference there for someone on a budget. Would it be reasonable to say that the Lee is a good solution for someone on a budget and the Lyman a good solution for someone with a few $$ more?

As you can see I bought a cheap Chinese knock off caliper and it has been very reliable and accurate for me. I like the digital calipers for the same reason the digital scale appeals to me which is to say that there is no chance of my getting the reading wrong. With my Lee scale there is always the possibility that I put the ball bearing in the wrong place on the beam for example and so am out by 10 grains. I can see that a digital scale removes that problem and with my failing eyesight that is why I went for the digital calipers. I think I paid about £16 for them on the recommendation from a friend who has some experience and expertise in this area. As you report it may be some of the cheap ones are a pile of junk but this has not been my experience.

Please don't think I'm taking issue with you wildcat junkie as that isn't the case, I have had slightly different experiences to you but buy and large I agree with what you say. For the beginner looking to try reloading and who doesn't have the $197 for a good digital scale would the Lee make a better option?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is an interesting angle that for the beginner starting from the ground up a digital scale might indeed be the best solution, I've never used one so I can't dispute this and I can easily see how a digital would be better to use. If I could justify it I would buy a digital scale. I bought the Lee because it was what was available and it works fine for me. The Lyman digital scale is about £118 ($197) here in the UK while the Lee is about £25 ($41) so there is a significant difference there for someone on a budget. Would it be reasonable to say that the Lee is a good solution for someone on a budget and the Lyman a good solution for someone with a few $$ more?

As you can see I bought a cheap Chinese knock off caliper and it has been very reliable and accurate for me. I like the digital calipers for the same reason the digital scale appeals to me which is to say that there is no chance of my getting the reading wrong. With my Lee scale there is always the possibility that I put the ball bearing in the wrong place on the beam for example and so am out by 10 grains. I can see that a digital scale removes that problem and with my failing eyesight that is why I went for the digital calipers. I think I paid about £16 for them on the recommendation from a friend who has some experience and expertise in this area. As you report it may be some of the cheap ones are a pile of junk but this has not been my experience.

Please don't think I'm taking issue with you wildcat junkie as that isn't the case, I have had slightly different experiences to you but buy and large I agree with what you say. For the beginner looking to try reloading and who doesn't have the $197 for a good digital scale would the Lee make a better option?

Funny thing is, I did not post a picture of the Lyman scale (almost $110) due to it's very poor reviews. The Cabela's scale pictured was $30 cheaper & had very GOOD reviews.

Cabela's price for the RCBS balance beam $74.XX, for the Cabela's digital scale, $79.XX. Definately not enough of a differance to make $$$ an issue considering the convienance & accuracy of the digital scale.

A far as digital calipers? Just my personal experience W/one particular brand. If those particular calipers had been reliable, I would have recommended them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the name of the scale or its manufacturer, but somebody makes a small, simple digital that costs all of $29. The thing is about the size of a bar of soap and has a little flip-over cover. That's all I can remember about it. My mind is failing me in my old age...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as a beginner's "kit"?

I bought a "kit" from MidwayUSA back in 2000.

It was $249.XX & included:

1: Indespensable" powder measure

2: A vibratory "tumbler" W/a bucket & media separater as well as media

3:An "O" press made of aluminum alloy. (still doing fine)

4: A set of wooden loading blocks

I'm not sure how much of the folowing might or might not have been included but I also aquired a case neck lubricator, a powder funnel W/set of case adaptors, some spray case lube, cartridge boxes & a battery powered trickler.

I also purchased seperately the RCBS hand priming tool, (the best of the lot IMO)an RCBS case lube pad, (still use this) a Lee deburing tool, a Le "Zip Trim", (great case length trimmer)primer pocket deburring tool & a primer pocket uniforming tool.

And of course the appropriate dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be a luddite but I would never have a digital scale (which I do) w/o a balance beam scale (which I do) to proof it against.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing I'd suggest is get rid of that Lee Safety scale and get something of higher quality.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thndrchiken:
First thing I'd suggest is get rid of that Lee Safety scale and get something of higher quality.

What would you suggest as a replacement?

It must be said that I have had no performance issues with the Lee and I believe it has a good reputation for accuracy etc. but it isn't especially well built. As a budget option do you think it is possible to do better?

I bought 1000 primers about 3 years ago and still have 600 or maybe 700 left so I'm loading 12 rounds a month averaged over that time.

One thing I noticed missing from my photo is a powder funnel, I think you need one of those. I just pour the powder into the pan of my scale with a tea spoon, to keep that part simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One cannot beat a "kit" from RCBS or Redding. All of the essentials are there and they're generally good to better in the quality department, plus additional gadgets can be picked up when needed. IMHO this is the best way to go as one will undoubtedly develop a preference for certain items/brands as time goes on. Lyman receives an honorable mention, but it must be kept in mind that RCBS and Redding are generally stocked on store shelves should a part be needed immediately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've used the Lee scale for a long time. I was always going to upgrade to what I felt would be a better beam scale but found I had no need to. At first I thought setup was some what frustrating but once I got used to it it became a breeze. I have checked it against my digital and the Lee scale is very accurate. I use it all the time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What would you suggest as a replacement?

Redding, RCBS 502 and Dillon beam scales are good. The latter two are made by Ohaus. These are all two-poise designs. The RCBS 505 is a three-poise design by Ohaus.

Satern caliber-specific funnels are very nice. Caliber-specific loading blocks are a convenience, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on your budget and preference. For under $50 you can get one of the lower end beam scales from Hornady or Lyman, my plastic bodied Lyman 500 served me well for several years. I have upgraded to an electronic dispenser system and use a second digital scale that is used for trickling up to the charge weight. For under $100 you can find many quality used scales on Ebay or Gunbroker, (although lately I would rather not give ebay any business).

Lyman 500, RCBS 505 are two well known scales that come to mind for less expensive quality.

I started out with a Lee turret press kit that came with that Safety Scale, I could never get it to hold the calibration, I would have some charges as much as a grain off. I had it all of about a month when I asked a buddy to weigh some of my charges and found that the scale was off wildly.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Actually, that looks good to me. If everybody would start out like that and add to it as their knowledge and needs grew, they'd have less "looked good but didn't work" junque sitting idle on the shelf (like I've got) Smiler

That's what I'm trying to avoid, but kinda jumped the gun a little. Kinda went a little overboard on initial purchases, but so far it's all stuff I'll use. Easy to do?

Posts: 250 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many calibers and how many rounds a year. A lee hand press is fine for the casual shooter. I also prefer a balance beam to double check the electronic scale. Trim dies work for low volume. Lee or Hornady dies will make more accurate ammo than most can shoot. If you are going to shoot prairie dogs in volume, you may want to make some different choices.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I only load for 308W and am only shooting a few hundred rounds per year, max. Hence why I set my position up as budget and low volume.

Perhaps those who load a lot could suggest some additions? I know if I loaded a lot I would have one of those electronic powder thrower/scale things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps those who load a lot could suggest some additions? I know if I loaded a lot I would have one of those electronic powder thrower/scale things.

Nice choice in tricklers. I use the Lee dippers with mine. I also use a primer-pocket cleaner like yours. The Dillon beam scale is the least expensive of the good scales. A VLD chamfering tool does a better job; both Lyman and RCBS have economical ones. Have I mentioned the caliber-specific funnels and loading blocks?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have set up so many new reloaders with Lee 50th anniversary kits with never a complaint. It sells for under 100 bucks and has a press, scale, case trimmers, powder measure, lube, funnel, etc. Just add dies and caliber-specific trimmer pilots. Add a reloading manual (I recommend Lyman) and they are set for a long time. A dial caliper is nice but if they are only going to trim case mouths the Lee trimmer is all they need. Eventually a case trimmer/neck turner will be nice but not essential. I have an electronic powder measure and scale and an Ohaus 1010 (now RCBS) magnetic dampened balance-beam scale. I can weigh faster with the 1010 than I can with the RCBS electronics. Electronic powder handling equipment would be way down my list of items to recommend to a newbie.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
would not get a balance beam scale as they are slow compared to a simple electronic pan scale.

I'm constantly bemused by comments of how much "faster" a digital scale is than a beam. I don't find a significant difference.

Yeah, a nunber, some number anyway, pops on the disply immediately but it usually takes a second or two to stabilize. A typical magnetic damped beam scale stabilizes in about the same amount of time. So, were's the speed???

A far bigger issue is sensititity, consistancy and the ability to follow a trickler. No inexpensive digital I've ever seen comes close to a beam for any of those, few of the much more expensive versions do better than a beam. And NO digital is going to last as long as a beam, assuming equally good care for each.

The ONE thing that can make a digital scale "better" than a beam is how easy it is to read the display when both types are sitting on the bench top. But, put a beam type scale on a shelf about eye level, as it should be, and it's suddenly quite easy to read precisely as well as fast!

I'm a retired electronic precision measurement instruments guy, ain't no digital scale in my reloading room. I MIGHT use one to weigh cases IF someone gives it to me!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote