Find
Notify
Tools

220 Swift
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Anyone reload for or shoot the Swift? I'm hoping some of you can post the case head measurement off of some unfired brass.

It is supposed to measure .445" but my recent batch of Winchester brass measures .435". This causes a pretty big case bulge when fired. Just wondering if I can cure this to some extent by switch brass.

So, if you could measure yours and post the measurement and make of the brass, I'd appreciate it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Virgin Remington is .439" just in front of the extractor groove.

So many guns so little time.

Posts: 70 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks, too bad the only brass I can find for sale is either Norma or Winchester. Would like to get an idea of what the Norma measures as well.

Appreciate the info!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bulk and boxed Win obtained 15-30 years ago. Samples of each are from well over 0.441" to as much as 0.442". Have just a few examples of even older Norma loaded up (not sized, not fired) and they go 0.443".

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel_Hoggson:
I have bulk and boxed Win obtained 15-30 years ago. Samples of each are from well over 0.441" to as much as 0.442". Have just a few examples of even older Norma loaded up (not sized, not fired) and they go 0.443".

That's great. But, I'm really interested in what new brass is measuring since that is what I'll be buying. I should have been more clear. But thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.

It seems that new brass just keeps shrinking. I see it on .30-30 derived cases as well but the Swift was the worst I've come across.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a heavy barrel laminated stock Ruger 77 MKll that I used Winchester and Norma brass in. I sold that gun years ago and kept a Ruger 77 ,tang safety, walnut stocked sporter that out shot the HB. I'll die with the sporter, it's a tack driver. Oddly enough the sporter wont safely fire loads with Winchester brass. The necks are too thick and turning necks for a production gun makes zero sense to me. Remington brass gives me accurate loads and long life. Never any issues with bulged brass.

So many guns so little time.

Posts: 70 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Hornady loaded rounds. Unfired cases measure .4395.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked. Midwayusa has Hornady brass on sale.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-220-swift-box-of-50

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
I have Hornady loaded rounds. Unfired cases measure .4395.

Thanks Jim, someone on another site posted that their Hornady brass measured .443". Pretty big variance.

I'll see if the local Sportsmans warehouse has any, otherwise, I may have to get some from Midway.

Thanks.

Aut vincere aut mori