THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic Tip Silvertip Information Wanted.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted
Hi all,
Can anyone give me some input on the Nosler 150gn .270 Ballistic Tip Silvertip? Accuracy, penetration, pet loads???? Thanks in advance and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot the exact bullet you are refering to but I have killed several animals with 7mm 150 BSTs and they did fine. Whatever can be said for the Ballistic Tip can be said for the BST. It should be a good bullet for deer sized game in your 270.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Try H4831. The .277 NBTs are very accurate and deadly on whitetails.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ballistic Silvertips are identical in construction to the regualar Ballistic Tips, other than the color of the tip.

It is popular to dis Ballistic Tips as too rapidly expanding or likely to frangment and not penetrate. Neither of these are the case in my experience. The Ballistic Tip does open up fairly quickly (which is good on deer-sized game), but its Solid Base design provides surprisingly good penetration in the tests that I have personally done. Of course, the BT's in .270 are not intended as moose and bear bullets, but for deer-sized game, they're as good as you can get.

Someone will invariably tell you about a BT "blowing up" on a deer shoulder and inflicting only a flesh wound. I'm sure it happens, but the only experience I've ever had with such an occurance was with a heavy-for-caliber Nosler Partition (the angle was such that it just about took the shoulder off, but didn't reach any of the vitals). This is not to say that the superb Partition is a poor bullet, just that terminal performance is sometimes different than you expect. Overall, I would expect fewer animals of the appropriate size to be lost to a solid hit with a Ballistic Tip than with just about any other bullet available.

The biggest problem I can think of with the 150/.270 is that it is a rather long bullet. If your throat is short or your magazine is the bare minimum of about 3.35" (assuming .270 Win?), then you may find it necessary to seat the 150 BT deeper than you might wish. If your using this bullet in a short-action WSM, then it will likely protrude some bit into the powder space.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use them often w/ 4831 and IMR 4350. I have killed many types of big game including elk with the 150 out to around 200 yards. Excellent performance! I have found it to be very stable/consistent and provide excellent grouping at the range. I haven't had issues with the bullet intruding on powder space or getting it seated where I want, but I don't shoot over max published loads with very few exceptions. I think you would like this bullet.

Good Luck --D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
While I can't touch most of the guys on here when they talk ballistic numbers. I can tell you my personal experiences with the 150's out of my '06. Great, never had a one travel more than 10 yards even the one or two I missed my mark on a little and hit in the shoulder.