New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284
 Login/Join

<jjdero>
posted
Would appreciate help and information on reloading with different types of 6.5-284 brass. Would someone explain to me the dos and don'ts about reloading certain type brass. I am having a 6.5-284 Win. built and now I am in the process of accumlating brass. I notice through the discount reloading brass catalogs, there appears to be 3 ways to go. One is get the standard 284 and neck it down to 6.5, the second is get Hornady brass and the third is Norma brass. I understand Norma makes Hornady so I am not sure there is any difference in those two pieces of brass.
Physically is there any difference in these brass and can one be loaded and shot and fire-formed in a standard 6.5-284 chamber? Is there a slight difference in the shoulder angle or what? It would seem to me that Hornady and Norma brass would be the way to go, but if they would be dangerous even in a fire-form application, obviously not so then. Any advice or help on this matter would be appreciated. [Confused]

<Don G>
posted
I have never loaded for the 6.6-.284, so I am repeating hearsay, but I have read here that the Norma brass has a thicker neck than a Winchester .284 case necked down to 6.5. I do not know if Norma makes Hornady brass or not.

If the necks are too thick (or the chamber too tight) to allow the neck to expand free of the bullet, then the necks can be turned down. You should check this on any case you neckj down, as the necking down process tends to thicken the neck.

I think any of these cases would be safe if properly formed and loaded. All cases should have their dimensions checked against the chamber dimensions before firing the first case from a new chamber.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don is correct, I was having to use to much force to close the bolt using the Norma brass. I neck turned them and they chambered perfectly. In my rifle the Hornady brass seems to work with no neck turning at all. So since you are going with a Winchester chamber instead of a CIP Norma chamber I would stick with either necked down 284 brass or go with the Hornady. Lapua is also producing 6.5-284 now but I have not had a chance to try them yet.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<jjdero>
posted
Thanks guys. jjdero

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 6.5-284 for several years. My two guns are single shot and set up for LR Target/Varmint use. Both have long throat chambering to allow caliber and a half seating. One sports a 28" barrel the other is a 30" tube. Both barrels are Krieger with 1:9 twist in order to shoot long (heavy), high BC bullets.

Originally, I necked down brass and turned necks. However, there is plenty of brass available today so necking and fire forming is not necessary. Lapua brass is the best that I have found for the 6.5-284. The Norma brass is very good as well, but the thick neck can pose problems in tight chambers.

I shoot only 140gr Berger Moly VLD bullets so I developed loads to maximize case capacity and long seating. The new Nosler Loading Manual #5 has very good load data on the 6.5-284. Not sure what you intend to do with your gun, however, the Nosler 120gr BT, 125gr Partition, and 140gr Partition are all good selections for game.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
I have been using Hornady brass with no problems. A friend has been using the Norma brass and was complaining about neck hardness. Perhaps it's due to brass thickness in necks?