New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's about 7.62 x 51 brass...........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It has crimped primers and appears to be annealed with a regular primer strike......would that be from a machine gun or from a conventional firearm? F.C. 11, 12 head stamp.......thanks, r in w.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in Wenatchee:
It has crimped primers and appears to be annealed with a regular primer strike......would that be from a machine gun or from a conventional firearm? F.C. 11, 12 head stamp.......thanks, r in w.

ConfusedYou lost me on this one bewildered roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.google.com/search?q...sAQ&biw=1536&bih=719

7.62mm51, 7.62 NATO, 308 Winchester, then there is the machine gun, always the machine gun, I do not have machine gun dies, I have 308 Winchester dies, I am the only one that does not allow a 7.62-51 NATO lock them up when sizing cases that were fired in a machine gun. If there was a difference in fired in a machine gun, a semi-auto loader and bolt gun I could measure the difference, if a fired case whips my press I can measure ‘by how much’. Look at it this way, if the cases were fired in a machine gun they have to be cheaper.

My favorite 7.62-51/ 308 Winchester case is formed from a 30/06 casa, next would be the machine gun fired case, I am told machine gun fired cases are trashy ol’ stretched cases, my favorite cases are the ones that are fired in trashy old chambers, when it comes to fitting/sizing cases to fit the chamber it is easier to form the shoulder back than to move it forward, the art of moving a shoulder forward is called fire forming, fire forming is what a reloader does when they do not understand case forming.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your point guff?
He wants to know that he has Federal brass made in 2011 or 2012.
If it is crimped or has staked primers it is military ammo. These days the M-60 is the most common 7.62. But they also could have been fired in am M-40 sniper rifle, a mini-gun or an M14 if fired by the military.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
What is your point guff?
He wants to know that he has Federal brass made in 2011 or 2012.
If it is crimped or has staked primers it is military ammo. These days the M-60 is the most common 7.62. But they also could have been fired in am M-40 sniper rifle, a mini-gun or an M14 if fired by the military.

...or also fired in an AR 10 which the military is using.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in Wenatchee:

If it came off of Yakima TC then it's probably machinegun fired. If off a civilian range then it could have been fired in any type of rifle but probably not a macine gun in Washington.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Gibson--Probably not a machine gun in Washington? What if it were Chicago? Really is it very likely a machine gun anywhere?

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpet, Yakima TC (training Center) is part of Fort Lewis. I think the 7th Infantry Division stationed there has a few machine guns.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The safe answer is if you bought once fired mil-surp and it doesn't say what it was fired in, it is probably machine gun. There is M118LR brass available, usually at a premium price.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman1

That is the state of....not D.C type Washington......probably lots of Machineguns in DC........

Very, very few legit MGs in Washington state as they are pretty much verboten for civilian use. YTC is a part of Fort Lewis, as mentioned, but is located in eastern/central Washington not far from the location of the OP. If the brass came from there it is like MG fired. If off a civilian range it was more than likely fired in a semi auto, bolt action or single shot.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After the commentaries.......bought out of Florida, do they always anneal that caliber brass for a one time use? Recent production 2011, 2012, just trying to rule out MG fired, but that's likely what it is. Also then there is this:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/...a-otm-match-762-nato

My question is, can I tell from the head stamp that this brass is different from regular brass as loaded in this caliber? Decapping today, I don't find any primer sealant, all with crimped primers, all FC 11 or 12.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, lube up a few and run them through your die. That will tell you what you need to know.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Ray, the same brass is used for 7.62 x 51 from linked to semi auto. The long range brass is marked with a LR on the head stamp.

One of the other differences in military and commercial bras is a second polish after annealing. An example is Federal Gold Medal Match 7.62 still shows the annealing line, .308 doesn't. Same brass, same load, different box.

The FC headstamp is Federal, obviously 2011 and 2012. I don't think any of our ammo still uses sealant. If anyone else knows let us know.

I your worried about case stretch look for rings when you size them and either check them with a paper clip or cut one or two in half. (Not as easy as I thought it would be.)

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
“What is your point guff?

The methods and techniques I use are not for everyone, a case fired in a machine gun does not lock me up, I am the fan of measuring before and again after, not an easy concept to keep up with for most, I determine the length of the chamber first from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber, I find the reloader that raises the ram when full length sizing a case to restore minimum length with out knowing the length of the chamber does not have a clue, WHO KNOWS? the machine fired cases may not require full length sizing to minimum length. Again, I have an Eddystone M1917 with a long chamber, the chamber is longer by .011 thousandths than a go gage length chamber, what is my point? The go-gage length chamber is .005 thousandths longer than a minimum length case, when a minimum length case is chambered in my M1917 there is a difference of .016 thousandths between the length of the chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder when compared to the length of the case from the case head to the shoulder of the case, back to trashy old chambers that are stretched, my favorite case is the 280 Remington, the 280 shoulder is ahead of the 30/06 shoulder by .051 thousandths, it does not get trashier than that, if I know the length of the chamber, if the chamber is trashy and I have a long case brom the head of the case to it shoulder, I can not miss.

If what everyone claims is true about machine gun fired cases and stretched, give me the machine gun fired cases, if by accident I find in my possession a pile of brass that is once fired and stretched I do not run into the curb, again, my favorite cases are cases that are fired in trashy old chambers, back to ‘not for everyone’, I had rather size a case to fit the chamber by moving/forming the shoulder back than moving it forward.

Reminds me of the “dreaded do-nut” I make do-nuts with out firing, most form do-nuts because of bad habits.

“He wants to know that he has Federal brass made in 2011 or 2012”” ???? I think he knows he has crimped primers, I think he knows we know his primers are crimped, anyhow, if a case whips my press, die and shell holder I know by how much, even then I can add .012 thousandths to the ability of the press, die and shell holder to returning the case to minimum length, again, what I do is not for everyone.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, so it sounds like you don't have the brass, but you are thinking about ordering the brass??

If that is the case I suggest you call the seller and ask them.

It's common for the sellers to seperate out match LR stuff and sell it seperately, for a higher price.

Keep in mind, that anytime there is something that could make a product more valuable, it will be labeled accordingly. So, I would assume it was mostly if not all machine gun fired brass.