New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7mm-08 or 270 win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

I have seen the montana rifle and I agree it looks classy. Unfortunately Canada is not swamped with Kimber dealers. I don't know where I could buy one. I'm a reloader and after reviewing the comments I'm leaning towards the 7mm-08.

Posts: 48 | Location: Yukon | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you try some Varget. My 2 708's love the stuff.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure will. How about H414? I'm going to try to stick with 140 & 150 bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are excellent and so near in performance that I doubt that either would yield any practical difference on any animal anywhere in the world if you hit the animal properly.

But I'd definitely go with the .270 instead of the 7/08. First of all, the .270 has a great deal of history behind it; every rifle maker makes rifles in that caliber, and .270 rifles are everywhere. But the most important consideration, I think, is availability of ammo. Even though I handload and almost never shoot factory ammunition in center fire rifles, I still like the idea of being able to buy ammo off the shelf without undue hassle. You'll be able to find .270 ammo almost everywhere any centerfire ammo is sold. Not so for the 7/08.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
For deer sized stuff I don't think it matters. If bigger game is on the menu the 270 has the edge... it's a bigger engine and no amount of wishful thinking can change that!

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Get a .280. Best of both worlds, better bullet selection than the .270, shoots flatter than the 7mm-08. Slightly more energy than the .270.

3100fps+ is possible with 140gr bullets.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Its true that there is a greater variety of bullets available for the 7-08, but when you put together every decent 270 bullet made by all of todays manufacturers there is really nothing wrong with the selection of 270 bullets. Especially if you intend to make it a one load rifle. So in my eyes the critical difference is a bit more sectional density and velocity in the 270 vs a slightly lighter rig in the 7-08. Hard to go wrong here really. Since you placed sheep in the fold I would lean towards the lighter one as well with emphasis on keeping the gun lightweight.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagree... There are a greater number of bullet weights, but hardly a greater variety of styles. The .277 has and always will have, all of the bullet manufactures attention. This goes back to the old "30-06 argument" also... that the 30-06 is sooooo versatile because of the number of bullet weights it has. BIG deal, who would want them? Ill take two, OR ONE weight per caliber thank you. versatility, too me has more to do with covering the game intended with one or two weights than dozens.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I disagree... There are a greater number of bullet weights, but hardly a greater variety of styles. The .277 has and always will have, all of the bullet manufactures attention"

Smallfry-
I took a look through my reloding supply catalogues and counted the number of .277" and 7mm bullets available and here are the results.

barnes-.277"-8 bullets 7mm-12 bullets
sierra-.277"-7 bullets 7mm-13 bullets
hornady.277-10 bullets 7mm-18 bullets
nosler .277-13 bullets 7mm-15 bullets
speer .277-13 bullets 7mm-22 bullets

the totals are.277"- 51 7mm-80

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes and? Perhaps I didnt explain my post well enough... There are Nosler partitions and Hornaday interlocks in 277 and 7mm correct? Now there will be more weights of 7mm in each type but I doubt there will be more types of 7mm bullets than in the 277... the number should be about the same.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Get a .280. Best of both worlds, better bullet selection than the .270, shoots flatter than the 7mm-08. Slightly more energy than the .270.

Wildcat, I'm wondering what manual your looking at that gets 3100fps+ out of a 140gr. 280Rem., and how accurate that load might be?

Blackstone, I've used 760/H414, which is the same exact powder, and while it may give you a bit more velocity, the accuracy wasn't there in my S/S Rem 708 with 150gr. Nosler BTs, RE15 or Varget, N140 or 4064 is your best bet, though 4064 probably won't go through your powder measure as well as RE15, I use 39grs. of RE15 for 150MK,(38grs. is the accuracy load) which will avg. 3/4moa out to 300yds., 39.5grs. of Varget with 150BT, both loads will shoot under 1/2" @100yds. Sierra got it's best accuracy with RE15 for their 140-150gr. bullets in the 7mm08. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Wildcat, I'm wondering what manual your looking at that gets 3100fps+ out of a 140gr. 280Rem., and how accurate that load might be?

No manual Im loading to about 60,000 psi (270 Win pressures) Using 62gr Norma MRP or Rl 22 with cci mag primers. Loads are slightly compressed. Data from "Quick Load

Accuracy is mediocre as are all loads in this rifle. I think I have a slightly oversized chamber coupled with crappy undersized Remington brass and a "small base" set of dies.

I have some "cerrosafe" to do a chamber cast, some new Norma brass and I plan to get some Redding competions dies.

These loads shot as good or better than any others @ about 1 1/2" @100yds. I have killed 7 Whitetails with 7 rounds with this gun and similar loads.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
And now, having received all this wonderful information, Flip a coin and than go out and get a good quality deep throated 7mmX57. The 175 gr. seated out will take care of that moose you're going to run into. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle has been ordered 7mm-08 remington titanium !

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I am not a big Remington fan, but the titanium is kind of cool. Also, you chose the right cartridge. I think the Kimber Montana in 7-08 is great choice except for the blind magazine. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackstone,

You will be happy with the 7mm-08 in your Titanium. I bought one last spring and have been very satisfied. I glass bedded the action and adjusted the trigger to 2#. If I take my time and keep the barrel cool, I am shooting 1/2" groups with several loads. My first shot from a cold barrel is just outside of my main group. From a hot barrel, I still get 1 1/4" groups. The 280 Rem is my all time favorite cartridge but this 7mm-08 has really grown on me.

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarihunter,
Did you try the rifle for accuracy before bedding the action?
They come pillar bedded don't they ? I'm really looking forward to getting it. Are the triggers hard to adjust ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a box of factory ammunition that I got in a trade. I shot that mainly for barrel breakin. Accuracy was good. I glass bedded even though it was pillar bedded mainly just because. If yours is as accurate as is, leave it alone. I believe that you can do a search here on remington triggers and find a link with very good instructions. Otherwise do a google search and you will find a couple of same.

You may want to have a good gunsmith do the work for you if you are not familiar with the adjustments. I don't mean to cause controversy here, but by good gunsmith, I mean a person who makes their living at gunsmithing, not someone who knows how to work a screwdriver. My gunsmith does an incredible job on my better rifles and it is well worth paying him to do the work. I do an ok job because all I know how to do is work a screwdriver.

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Safarihunter,
Did you try the rifle for accuracy before bedding the action?
They come pillar bedded don't they ? I'm really looking forward to getting it. Are the triggers hard to adjust ?

Blackstone, Send me an e-mail, I'll give you my instructions, very easy and safe, I've got 2 different Rem. rifles down to 19-20oz., and yes they're safe, did all the tests, several times, of course you don't have to get yours that low, I just like light triggers, and I personally don't think your going to see an accuracy difference if you 'bed' a stock that has pillars, but you never know, my Rem. S/S has an HS Precision sporter stock that's not bedded and it shoots great, although I'd like to see if bedding it would help it any, it avg. 3/4moa out to 300yds., with limited testing that is, Jay
jarhty28@hotmail.com

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 308 in the titanium . shot poor groups. took it to my gunsmith. The magazine box was too high, it was holding the action up out of the stock.Also the trigger pull was so high it would not register on his gauge. Anybody else have this problem ?

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackstone,

My vote is the 7-08, but must admit that this is splitting hairs. Like Jay said, H414 will produce great velocity, but will not be as accurate as RL15 and IMR4064. However, I am interested in smaller targets such as pronghorn/muleys/metalic silhouettes(out to 500m w/the silhouettes), not moose. For moose, I would think that H414 would be plenty accurate and the most powerful choice. I have found H380 to be a great med capacity powder in other cartridges producing velocities in the area of H414, but with better accuracy. I will be trying the H380 next in my 7-08 w/154gr bullets.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote