Find
Notify
Tools

load for 6mm remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I'm looking for any suggestion on a load for a 6mm remington using 115 berger VLD hunting bullets.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Due to the many variables which can affect pressure and saftey I can only recomend that you start with a load below a starting load for the Sierra 107 grain matchking bullet, and work up according to established proceedures found in a loading manual.

I can recomend RL 17 and IMR 4831 as capable of obtaining top velocities and exceptional accuracy. I was able to reach 3,000 ft/secs in my Hart 28" barreled 40X.

Edited to add: That the Hart barrel is a 1 in 8 twist.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Thanks the 3841 is the same powder my grandfather used to load for the rifle. I have some rounds that are 40 years old and still hold a 1/2" group at 100 yards.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mdvjrp93,

Curious ... What is the twist of your 6mm Rem rifle barrel? That projectile is quite long!

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mstarling is correct, Berger recommends a 1:7" twist for that bullet. It simply will not work in a 40 year old 6mm Remington barrel regardless of the powder used - regardless of its performance in a custom 28" tube.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I believe the rifle has a 1in10 twist. I have been shooting 100gr Remington loads The rifle is an old 788 but still shoots fine. As I said before it will hold half inch groups with my grandfather's hand loads.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I hit post to soon. The load I'm refering to is a 100gr spritzer over 44grs of IMR4831.

1 shot 1 thrill

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I believe the rifle has a 1in10 twist. I have been shooting 100gr Remington loads The rifle is an old 788 but still shoots fine. As I said before it will hold half inch groups with my grandfather's hand loads.

No matter how well it shoots with the shorter 100 grain bullets it will not stabilize the LONG 115 bullets.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for thier in put. It made me do some thinking and research. The in put was correct the 115 vld will not stablelize in my barrel. I also found out that my rifle has a 1n9 twist. This should help me build better rounds in the future.

1 shot 1 thrill

posted Hide Post
The 1:10 twist will stabilize the old Barnes 115 gr. Original. These are short enough...but are at the maximum length the 1:10 twist will handle in a 6 mm barrel.

Only problem is that they are discontinued.. Frowner