Find
Notify
Tools

reloading bench headache
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
For all of you that have been interested in reloading bench plans, do not make this mistake. I mounted my top flush with the 2x4 on the front edge. This 2x4 was positioned with the longest edge vertical. Not a good idea, i had to remove about a 1x3" section so i could lower the handle all the way. Also, by mounting the 2x4 as i noted above, you have to remove more material from the back so that you can get bolts to fit. Mounting the 2x4 horizontal should work much better. Do not make the same mistake. 2 hrs and a dictionary of expletives later, i finally got it to work.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I did leave a lip on the front of my table, I got some 1/2" thick scraps of plywood and glued them together (making 1" thick plywood pieces) that I cut these into some 11"x8" squares. I drilled the same mounting hole pattern thru the pieces and thru the bench top so they are interchangable. They extend over the front of the bench a couple of inches and I've mounted my presses on them. (I have two -one for large large rifle and one for small rifle) I have my case trimmer mounted on one and a small vice mounted on one and one is blank. They mount on the bench top with carriage bolts (head up) and wing nuts below. Or I can take them off and stack them below if I need a clear table to work on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used solid core doors for my tops without the dead bolt or handle holes cut out . My Dillon 550, 650 bolted up just dandy as did my Mec and the extra piece I cut off served as a back splash . I mounted my Tool heads, powder measure funnels Etc. on them .

I went so far as to angle a portion of the top with in the bench top it's self( Near the Shot Shell loader ) placed a bucket under where I had drilled a line of various sized ( Shot Holes ) .

I have these neat little neoprene plugs ( Used for plugging threaded or just plain holes when painting or Powder Coating ). It's for when I screw up on a shell or shot spills . Instead of going ALL over my loading benches . It now goes down in the angled cut out depending on the shot size ?, I pull the plug and that shot goes into the bucket . Who said Reloaders aren't recyclers !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote