New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift Scirocco Opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any experience with the Swift Scirocco's? Cost/value aside, what are your opinions/experiences?

Posts: 51 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Exactly what delta hunter said but from a 300 RUM. Go Accubonds...much better!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only used the 180gr. Scirocco in a .300 Weatherby. It has been quite accurate, but its performance on game is not my cup of tea. I think it's better suited for cartridges that produce less velocity. I shot a deer a couple seasons ago broadside in the ribs at about 15 yards and the bullet failed to exit even though no major bone was hit. It was flat as a pancake and the size of a half dollar. I just prefer an exit wound and that's why I've switched to a different bullet in the .300 Wby. Maybe someone else can tell you how they perform at more modest velocities.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
With the introduction of the Accubond and the Interbond, I see little use for the similar Scirroco, which costs 2 or 3 times as much.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I have two experiences with the Swift Scirocco, both vastly different.

The first was a cow elk at a guessed 250-300 yards. She was standing mostly facing me. At the shot she folded up like nobody's business and flopped on the ground. The shot had entered the neck, broke the spine (thus the dramatic ending)continued on through the front shoulder finally lodging under the skin on the backside of the leg. Great penetration and great terminal performance.

The second was another cow elk at a laser range finder verified distance of 608 yards. She was standing broadside and at the shot showed no sign of being hit. She walked into the timber 30 yards and piled up. This shot hit her in front of the second rib, took out the liver (and whatever else is in that path)and was lodged just under the hide behind the off shoulder.

Both of these animals were shot with 180 grain Sciroccos out of a .300 Winchester Magnum. Muzzle velocity average around 3160 fps. No mild load.

Here is where it gets interesting. The first bullet weighed 174 grains. But did not mushroom at all. The bullet looked like the tip had been cut off with a pair of wire dikes, slightly bending the tip. You can see the riflings from stem to stern on it. Why it did that? Who knows. Just didn't like it so I switched to 200 grain Accubonds the next year (2003).

2003. My gun jams (operator error). My father-in-law still shooting Sciroccos lets me use his gun. I draw a bead, fire and when we recover that bullet it also weighs 174 grains, but is a picture perfect mushroom right out of Swifts adds. I compared the bullet to the bullet they show impacting at 2300 fps and it is identical. That should have been about the impact velocity.

My opinions on the bullet. I don't like the fact that 50% didn't work as designed, whatever the reason may be. I don't like the amount of expansion delivered. It goes out wide. High weight retained, but it is like pushing a baseball through. There was not much resistance on the second cow. I expected a pass through. I am still planning on shooting Nosler's Accubond in the 200 grain version out of my gun.

I know it is long, but hopefully the experiences will help you whaterver way you go.

Good luck.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the most accurate bullets I have ever shot past 300yds out of my 7stw a 150gr all at elk and were all neck shots. My friend shot a 4pt Bull, blew one right through the front shoulders with a factory Loaded Remington Premier in a 7mag with a 150gr Scirocco just over 250yds. With the aside part of the price, I just started shooting Nos- Partition's in a 140gr and will put every other one in the magazine next hunt. www.midwayusa.com is still about the only one with a good price on them $37.00.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I have used 150gr Scirocco bullets in my .280 Rem. the last two years here in Pennsylvania. I have fired three times and dumped three whitetails in their tracks. I previously posted a question on this forum about what makes the "instantanious" kills possible. All three of these deer were in that class. The ranges were approximatly 225, 60, and 250 yards. The muzzle velocity is 2900 f.p.s. give or take a few. All hits were chest cavity with no apparent central nervous system damage, i.e. no neck or spine bone were hit. Each bullet exited and was not recovered. The exit holes were about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. They seem to work fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, my father and I have been shooting the 338 cal. Scirroco's since their introduction and we're very happy with them. The accuracy is great and they appear to be solid performers on game. He took a Kudu, Gemsbock, Blesbuck, Wildebeest and an Impala last July, all with the 210 gr. Scirroco's out if his 338/416 Rem Mag. They all dropped in their tracks. The prevailing opinion around here is that the Accubonds are better but I haven't tried them yet. The Scirroco's seem to be doing just fine for me.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Quote:

With the introduction of the Accubond and the Interbond, I see little use for the similar Scirroco, which costs 2 or 3 times as much.

I agree 100%.

For this line of bullet to survive, they're going to have to reduce their price. They were the cats ass when the only other type of bonded was the super tough A-Frame/Trophy Bonded class.

I'm still waiting for this style of bullet to come out in a 25cal. Is there a reason they don't? Lots of 25's now.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote