Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

posted
anyone got one of these? need loading data for h4831, reloader22 useing a 180 grain bullet

Posts: 4 | Location: tacoma,wa | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same thing as the 308 Norma. 180 gr bullet @ 3000 fps, 74 gr of RL22, or 73 gr of H4831. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ERB,
The accuracy load for 30-338 is 71.5 grs of H4831 behind a 180gr bullet. I use a 210M primer but our climate is mild. Velocity is 2987. From my custom rifle, you can cover a five shot group with a quarter (a nickle over the three closest.) That's cover!

The hunting load is 73grs of H4831. It will be at least 100 fps faster.

With the new Hodgden powders, don't worry about RL22. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply on my 338 right now my shoulders out of place iam going to have to put a brake on tha bastard thanks again erb

posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply on my 338,right now my shoulders out of place iam going to have to put a brake on the bastard thanks again, erb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Erb,
I shoot some big bores, but I don't like recoil and I don't find the 30-338 to be exceptional. How much does your rifle weigh? Is it scoped? What kind of stock do you have? It should not be kicking you enough to warrant a brake. A recoil pad, yes; a brake, no way. Something ain't right!

Let me make a suggestion. When you resize, just neck size. This will make the reloaded rounds head space on their shoulder and may eliminate some of the recoil you are sensing. Remember also that you control the beans. You can make it shoot like a 30-06 until you get use to it. This isn't wimpy, its smart. Just go up to the 71.3 grain, H4831 load with a 180gr bullet. I've shot a bunch of animals with mine, and I don't think any of them knew it was a 100fps slower. I don't think you'll feel the recoil is too much. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
erb; I have owned a 30-338 for many years, and owned it's ballistic twin, the 308 Norma prior to that [three of them, in fact]. My pet load with the 180 is 75 grains of Norma MRP. This should be close to what has been suggested for Reloder 22, which is similar, but not identical. My Douglas barrelled M70 Winchester 'graphs 3155 with this load. I have always made my brass from Winchester 7mm Mag Brass, and this load allows me many reloads without any brass problems or loose primer pockets. Although I have used H4831 in mine, it is not as good, accuracy wise, as the Norma load, so I do not use it. As is the usual procedure, work up to any load posted cautiously.
Have fun with your 30-338! It's a great caliber. Regards, Eagleye.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote