New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reloading Federal 30-06 brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law tried to reload some 30-06 Federal brass. I told him that I had heard here and other places that you could not reload Federal brass. He could not get the reloads to group at all. He would get two shots close and then a stringer. He changed brass and the problem went away.

So what's up with Federal brass? If the brass is so bad the second time why don't the factory loads perform just as poorly? The gun shop where we both buy reloading supplies also said the same thing. We were both wondering why and I thought someone here might have an answer.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
i have used federal brass for years in my 30/30 contender carbine shoots .75 with my hand loads and i have never had any problems. i do remeber that the federal brass had the most inconsistent case oal so i trimmed them all to the same length. but i never experienced flyers as you describe. try trimming all the brass to the same oal and see what happens. m2c.

good luck

arky65

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used federal brass for my 300 WM for years. Works just as good as anything for me.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Steve on this one. The difference between the factory load and the reload can make a big difference. Different vibration pattern, different heating rate of the barrel, different primer, and could even be the alignment of the earth, moon and sun is wrong.
Every time I've had a problem with a reload, I can look in the mirror and say, Naw, it ain't me." and be wrong every time.
However, I must add to the list of those that say there is nothing wrong with Federal brass. Works just fine for me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a rediculous number of variables to consider when loading, and several can cause poor grouping. And yes, it is always good to trim the cases to the same length, debur inside and out as well as the flash hole, etc. In my 22-250, my rifle likes one headstamp for 1 bullet and another headstamp for another. Got to play around with powder/bullet/case combinations. However, it could be a bad batch of brass. Win, rem, and fed can all put out a bad batch on occasion which are thick on one side of the neck and not an another (for example). Have you mic'd the necks with a BALL micrometer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The problem is with the reloader not the brass.

I have loaded Federal brass for years and have had no difficulty with it.

what he said capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've reloaded a hundreds of Federal cases without any problems. The only difference I notice in the brass is that Federal is a bit softer in the case head than Remington, Lapua or RWS.

The problems were most likely with the load not with the brass.
Make sure that your powder and bullet selection are appropriate for the cartridge.
Uniform the primer pockets and flash holes (Optional but a good idea)
Weigh every charge.
Seat the bullet a little bit at a time, turning the case about 90� each time, or get a Forster Ultra Benchrest seating die.
Do not crimp unless the bullet has a cannelure and then only lightly crimp into the cannelure.

Posts: 62 | Location: SF East Bay Area - California | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your buddy needs to re-think his technique. Federal brass is considered some of the best. I've used it and never noticed a problem

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used a lot of Federal brass, but I've had no real problems with what I have used.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used nickel plated Federal brass in 270 , 22-250 and 45-70 with no problems what so ever

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The problem is with the reloader not the brass.

I have loaded Federal brass for years and have had no difficulty with it.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
This is an interesting question. I have used some Federal brass in .30/'06 and 7mm Rem. Mag. for a number of years, and never noticed this problem. Their brass looks just like any other make to me. Has anyone noticed anyhting different about it?

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have used Federal ammo. in several different calibers in my guns and they seem fine. The brass from these factories look just like Rem's/Win's brass. So I will keep my Federal brass and reload it.

As for my brother-in-law, I will have to see if he his skipping a step or missing something. I know he weighs each powder charge and only uses the reloading data out of the reloading manual. Must be something else going on.

hogsaw65

one of us
posted Hide Post
I weighted once fired brass and new 30.06 brass,the most consistant was Federal at <1%.It is 10% heaiver than the lightest(Winchester).

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Probably started by Federal.

"don't reload Federal brass, buy new Federal cartridges."

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have never had any problem with Federal Brass it sets on the shelf except for Deer season. I use it for hunting rounds that I don't waste the time to pick up.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Any relation to Pat McManus or Shawn Conrey (sp?)? Tell you what, if those two could have kids, spitting image I tell you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no scientific basis for this, but I find I have to trim Federal brass more after one shooting. I dont load it for my 3006, just me son's 270.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote