THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Is it necessary to use the expander ball in Type S bushing neck sizer?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it necessary to use the expander ball in Type S bushing neck sizer?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello I'm new to neck-only sizing and about to try my first once-fired batch with 270 Redding Type S neck sizer with 302 bushing. The die comes with the decapping pin and with the expander ball.

I tried to size the first case. I felt the pressure on the down-travel of the case - after it got sized by the bushing. I think it was the case neck being expanded.

What is the reason then to use the bushing and the expanser ball in the same setup? Can i get away with just using the bushing?

My goal is too avoid the neck pull, so it does not cause the neck run out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have turned the necks for uniform thickness, it isn't necessary. If the necks are un-turned you should use the expander ball so that the uniformity is from the inside out, otherwise you will lose considerable concentricity. Personal experience speaking here...

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I decap on a dedicated decapping die and don't use the expander ball at all.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sizing brass with one right now. Use the expander ball. After setting your shoulder bump properly and quantity of neck you want to size, leave the expander stem lock screw loose.

Size a case on the down stroke then on the up stroke when you feel the ball just enter the neck, stop and tighten the lock nut. It perfectly centers it. I have about .001" runout

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can i get away with just using the bushing?

Yes, the expander is not needed IF 1.Loading a boattail bullet. 2.The bushing is no smaller than .002" when compared to the neck diameter of a loaded round. 3. You have chamfered the case mouth.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use the expander ball when using a bushing die. I also don't neck turn and it works fine for me.

Have fun with the 270 Redding. I started shooting mine about a year ago. So far my favorite loads are 46 gr of RL-15 for 110 V-Max, 50 gr of Rl-19 for the 130 Nosler BT, and 48 gr of Rl-19 for the 140 Partition. These loads are tame in my rifle, but they shoot very accurately, so I haven't spent much time trying heavier loads.

For my bushing die, I was able to use a 7mm BR bushing die instead of getting the custom 270 Redding die.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
quote:
Can i get away with just using the bushing?

Yes, the expander is not needed IF 1.Loading a boattail bullet. 2.The bushing is no smaller than .002" when compared to the neck diameter of a loaded round. 3. You have chamfered the case mouth.

tu2