THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Breaking in the barrel on a Savage .17 HMR??????

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking in the barrel on a Savage .17 HMR??????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I realize this is not really a reloading question but I thought it would still be the best forum to ask it in.

I went most of my life (42 yrs old) not knowing about breaking in a barrel. The first gun I did it on was my 22-250. It was a long and painful process but she drives tacks at crazy yardage.

Just bought a brand new Savage 17 HRM, my second one, and am wondering if it's worth it on a rim fire? I gues a barrel is a barrel. I have ran about 50 rds through it so far. I've done 10....clean, 10....clean and so on. Am I wasting my time on this type of gun?? I want it to be as accurate as possible and I live where I can shoot out my front door. Just wondering if it will really make a difference, how long should I continue and if I need to do it any different.

Thanks a bunch guys!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would have cleaned it initially and then went 1,2,2,5,5,10 and 10 shots. Doesn't really matter since the main thing is to keep the barrel clean so no foreign material will be embedded in it. Mainly materials from the manufacturing process. Regardless, it's a done deal now.
To answer your question, no it is not a waste of time to break-in a rimfire.

I bought a Savage .17HMR with the bull barrel. Unbeleivably accurate out to 125 or 150 yds. Crosswinds do affect the light bullet though. Have not heard or read about the standard barrel. I'll bet you will be happy.

Fisin' Magician

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fishin' Magician:
To answer your question, no it is not a waste of time to break-in a rimfire.

Most rimfires use soft lead bullets. For those guns it would be a waste of time. And a good chance of buggering something up if you're not cleaning from the breach with a bore guide.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2,
The original post from Dubs was asking about the .17HMR. Most .17HMR rounds manufactured today are plated, either hollow point or polymer tipped. Again, IMO it is not a waste of time to break in any rifle.

Fishin' Magician

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did go and read a bunch of sites on this. Since the 17 has a copper jacket, they have to be broken in just like any rifle. I'll remember that for the next gun....lol

This is the second 17 I've owned with a bull barrel. Looked down both ends with a light source and it it spotless. I'm hoping that since the first one I didn't do anything to it and I can make 4,5 and 6 leaf clovers at 100 yrds, this one will be the same.

BTW....any reason to break in a stainless barrel different over blued???Thanks guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just shoot it and clean like you would normally. "Breaking in" a barrel is a ridiculous superstition. Swabbing after so many shots or other does nothing to get out burrs in the rifling or tool marks on the lands. The byproducts of combustion in your barrel are not going to scratch it. If the barrel has wide or narrow places, no amount of bore cleaner will fix that, either.

Only two things "break in" a barrel:

Lapping.
Shooting.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubs22-250:
Just bought a brand new Savage 17 HRM, my second one, and am wondering if it's worth it on a rim fire? ...Just wondering if it will really make a difference, how long should I continue and if I need to do it any different. ...
Hey Dubs, Since the only real cost is Time and Elbow Grease, I feel sure it is well worth it - for me. Especially on Barrels which were not Lapped.

You are correct that you are simply removing small whisps of Burrs from the edges of the Lands and Grooves. Once your Barrel cleans easily and does not retain very much Jacket Material, then you are good to go.

I know some of the BenchRest folks tend to clean in one direction only, but I can't imagine one of them not using a Lapped Barrel. Anyway, the back and forth scrubbing of the Bristles, combined with a good Cleaner will remove the tiny whisps of material fairly quickly.

Best of luck with the new rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is lapping??? I know about lapping valves on a motor. How does it apply to barrels??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stolen in part from the Rifle Shooter magazine website:
quote:
One of the last steps a custom barrel-maker does before shipping a tube, or installing it on a rifle, is to hand-lap the bore. Lapping uses a lead slug cast to the bore, impregnated with abrasive and worked back and forth through the newly crafted barrel. The lapping removes miniscule tool marks from the bore with the intent of reducing fouling and improving accuracy.

High-volume production barrels do not get lapped. Most production barrels are more than good enough for their intended use, and the time and cost of hand-lapping is something most deer hunters wouldn't pay for.

Barrels that haven't been lapped can sometimes be improved by lapping, but few other than barrel-makers have the proper tools for the job. Fire-lapping a bore, by shooting bullets impregnated with very fine abrasives, has been a subject of experimentation for some years now. The trick is always to get the proper amount of the correct grade of abrasive evenly distributed on a bullet.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since Dubs Savage barrel is button-rifled and shooting a jacketed bullet, some measure of improvement might be gotten by going through a breaking in routine. However, being as the .17" bore is so tiny, non-judicious bore scrubbing has the potential to do more harm than good.

But most production rimfire barrels are hammer forged and shoot soft lead bullets. Rimfire experts routinely say that even cleaning the products of combustion is unnecessary.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote