Find
Notify
Tools

fireforming brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted
have read numerous threads on using the cream of wheat method for fireforming brass. went to the local gun shop and they were out of "unique" powder, but i have a lot of "universal clays" that has virtually the same burn rate. will this work? i figure that i could use the same 11 grains that is called for in the 30/06AI. opinions please

b h

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i know the cream of wheat method is used alot, but i really don't care for it. I always found that the pressures generated were not quite enough to really to a job of case forming. Rather i use a full power load with the cheapest bullets i can find.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't think of anything messier, less useful, or more prone to fail than attempting to fireform brass with some non-bulleted concoction.

I've never had or seen a gun with an improved chamber that didn't shoot the first shot with unformed brass virtually as accurately as subsequent shots with fireformed brass.

Load your brass with an appropriate varminting/small game load and go out and have fun. The brass will be perfectly fireformed with no mess to clean up and you'll have some enjoyment shooting at jack rabbits or even just tin cans.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I can't think of anything messier, less useful, or more prone to fail than attempting to fireform brass with some non-bulleted concoction.

I've never had or seen a gun with an improved chamber that didn't shoot the first shot with unformed brass virtually as accurately as subsequent shots with fireformed brass.

Load your brass with an appropriate varminting/small game load and go out and have fun. The brass will be perfectly fireformed with no mess to clean up and you'll have some enjoyment shooting at jack rabbits or even just tin cans.

thumbroger thumb

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cream of Wheat. Ugh! I don't even like that stuff for breakfast.
I use fire forming as a time to get rid of any odd lot of powder that didn't work out. I use a 75-80% load and, as posted, the cheapest bullet I can find.
Last week, I fire formed over 100 .222 cases using a Data powder and some super cheap Argentine bullets. It was snowing it's butt off so I put a couple of sand bags on the window sill in the laundry room and had at it. Big Grin (yes, I live in the country)

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My experience has been similar.

No matter how I fireformed, I'd never get sharp corners until I fired a bullet. My way of thinking tells me that case volume will still be changing, so might as well do it in one shot anyway.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
hey the whole world can't be wrong. i guess there will be no breakfeast in my /06ai barrel. have already loaded up some bullets that i would never shoot along with a powder that i haven't used in years. THANKS

b h

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What StoneCreek said!!

This year I hunted whitetails with my fireforming loads for my 338-06ai..200gr hornady bullets on top of a moderate load of H4895...shot 3 deer with that combination and they were all knocked out of their tracks...

No C-O-W for me... shame

Z Big Grin

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote