Find
Notify
Tools

.348 Winchester; loading Barnes 220gr Original
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello
The .348 shooters might find this of interest..

I’ve had a lifelong dream of owning a Model 71, but it just never came to fruition.. However a family member recently acquired one and asked if I could work up a load. Well, guess that’s close enough, I get to play with one and shoot it a little.. The rifle is equipped with a Lyman receiver sight and the original front ramp bead.

I was given 50 pieces of Starline brass and 50 Barnes 220gr Original bullets and a set of LEE dies. Ok, so after doing quite a bit of research and acquiring a lot of empirical and anecdotal data, and some Quickload data, I decided I’d try some Rx 19, Rx 17, and Rx 16. Since resources are limited I couldn’t do the kind of workups I like to do..

The loads settled on were;

58.0 grs Rx 16 Fed 210 primer
58.0 grs Rx 17 Fed 210 primer
63.0 grs Rx 19 Fed 210 primer

The Barnes loading data said the 53.0grs H-380/WLR primer was the ‘accuracy load’, so that load was included. An old Speer manual listed 54.0grs with their 220gr flat nose. 54.0grs would have brought the velocity up close to the 2300 fps slot.

Set out the targets at 50 yards. The orange square is 10”. The bead covered about 5”. I centered the bead in the middle of the square.

Velocity data was taken with an Oehler mod 33. Skyscreens centered at 15’. Rifle benched on sandbags.
So here is how the shooting went;

Well the Rx 19 load was the most accurate today.. Pretty good for an old dog like this..
Rx 16 was the fastest and accuracy fair, with a velocity spread of only 5 fps! H-380 was ok.. I doesn’t look like the rifle likes Rx 17 much..
The brass popped out just fine, and primers looked great.
Loaded the rest of the brass with Rx 19..
Hope this is of some interest.

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Win M71 and the 348 WCF. I am sorry that i sold mine a couple years ago.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote