New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Load Manual
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could someone please tell me what Hornady's manual lists as the maximum load for the 40gr v-max using Benchmark in the .223? Thanks

PS - Sorry, I'm still aquiring load manuals. I've got three so far, just not Hornady's.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
It ain't Hornady, but...

http://stevespages.com/224_8_40.html

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, just so happens, I've been loading with 28.0gr Benchmark with the 40 grainer's. Do you know the velocity? I'm plotting a trajectory chart for my records. thanks

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 HORNET: My latest Hornady Manual (#4) does not show V-Max bullets at all. Maybe there is a newer manual. It does show 45 gr. bullets but no Benchmark powder loads listed in that section.
My newest Sierra Manual (Fifth Edition) does show the Sierra 40 gr. Blitz King (similar to the V-Max) and the Benchmark powder (in AR-15 type Semi-Automatic 223 Rifles section!) showing MAXIMUM loading of 27.0 grs giving 3,400 FPS. Then in the seperate section for bolt action 223 Rifles it does not show the Benchmark powder in the 40 gr. bullet section at all?
Hope this helps.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In looking in my Hornady #6 loading manual there is no listing for 40gr v-max using Benchmark in the .223. They list for IMR4198, viht n-120, viht n-130, aa2460, and h335.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all! Wow, I can't imagine Benchmark not being in Hornady's manual. I was at Bass Pro Shop and looked through a Nosler manual and it had their 40gr ballistic tip listed with 28.0 grains max with Benchmark. I have been using this combo with 40gr v-max's (no pressure signs)with excellent results. Thanks