New
Find
Notify
Tools

advise on 223 reloading die set
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have so far only reloaded straight walled handgun and I am looking to start loading 223. I was considering a Redding competition die set. what do you all think? I have a Redding 3 die set for 9mm and I really like the micrometer adjustment on the bullet seater. What is the process and how is it different from straight walled cartidges when dealing with a shouldered cartridge? after seating the bullet, how does the crimping process work?

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
Picture of Zoboomafoo_dude
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with the competition seater dies from redding, its a great set up. However, you may also want to look at the new hornady dies, because they have a micrometer seater that is interchangeable amongst all their dies and therefore cheaper. The micrometer is not really "necessary," but it does make seating different bullets much much easier.

What kind of rifle will you be shooting? If its a bolt action you don't need to crimp for a 223.

Posts: 93 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding competition dies are very nice, but also very expensive.
Typically I wouldn't worry about custom dies, unless you are loading for a custom rifle.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be rude but if I were you, I'd get a couple of load books and read them cover to cover at least once. That will give you a good grasp of your reloading basics which will serve you better than trying to get your info piecemeal in cyberspace.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are going to be seating VLD-type bullets at longer than magazine lengths, I wouldn't bother with the fancy seater.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For a normal 223 hunting rifle I would not worry about fancy dies. If it is an AR platform I would lean towards small base.

I do agree with Wasbeeman read several good loading manuals will do more for you than a series of questions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I agree that it can depend on what gun. An AR has magazine length restrictions that take away some of benefit you get from the fancy seating dies. Bolt guns can be a different story depending on internal mag well size (they are all over hte place). Single-shots are a no-brainer, especially if you plan to shoot different bullets in it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee dies I have loaded many tens of thousands of 223 with mine.

Posts: 19619 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding Competition seater is a nice one, very well finished. It is, however, also pretty pricey. If you want exactly the same functionality at lower cost, look at the Forster seater. The Redding is supposedly a copy (albeit better finished) of the Foster - the Forster patent having expired.

I tried the Redding comp dies for a while, but was not so impressed with the results - in particular at the price the dies come at.

If you are happy to settle on using one brand of brass, buy a Forster FL sizing die, and have Forster hone the internal neck diameter to loaded neck diameter - .003" (or so). Then size without the expander with the die set up to PFL size (use search function here). That is about as smooth a sizing setup as you'll get - plus no runout!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are loading for a gas gun get the RCBS X-Die 2 die set. Get the standard X-die not the small base die.

If you are loading for a bolt gun and want the Redding dies then get the 2 die neck size competition set. Also get the RCBS X-die (satandard FLSer only) to FLS when you need to.

The X-die will full length size (FLS) and eliminate case stretch so you won't have to trim. Of course if neck sizing (best for accuracy in the bolt gun) you won't have to trim either.

Suggest you carefully read the sections in Sierra's, Hornady's, Speer's or Lymans manuals on reloading bottle neck cases. It will answer any questions and get you started correctly much better and more thoroughly than any answers you get on forums.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Redding comp. die set for my AR .223 and it works very well. Never had a problem needing a small base die. I bump the shoulder and neck size and it works great. The micrometer seater is super for getting the exact length desired.
C.G.B.