Login/Join

posted

Hi everyone,

I have WIN.785 Ball powder for 10 years,never opend factory
sealed.Is it safe to use?
Thanks for comments.
Weidmansheil
Orion

Posts: 12 | Location: Adelaide ASTRALIA | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
It certainly should be. Particularly since it has never been opened. A visual check and a "sniff test" will tell you. If it looks like it should, with no rusty-colored dust in it, it pours freely, and has a slight ether-like smell, like other cans of ball powder, it is OK. I have about 1/3 can of the same powder left over from the early 1980's, and it is still OK.

posted Hide Post
Thank you

waidmannsheil
ORION

Posts: 12 | Location: Adelaide ASTRALIA | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no info on this powder.

But, they still sell powder salveged from WW 2 ammo , and it still works.

The sniff test mentioned above , as well as the rust colored residue will tell you what you need to know.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of Winchesters powders are double based, made with both nitro-glycerin and nitro-cellulose. Double base powders are the most stable, and kept cool (75 degrees or so, no storage over 90)they will last indefinately, double based powders are very stable. As has been addresed, there should be an obvious ether smell when the container is opened, and should flow freely, and be free of discoloration.

Posts: 409 | Location: Mentone. Alabama | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote