Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x.284
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
I'm kicking around rebarreling a M700SA. Does anyone here have any experience w/ the 6.5X.284? I will be shooting mostly long range target & maybe some varminting.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None with 6.5, but lots with 25/284.

Good experience, but it is on a full length Mauser action. You may find C.O.L. problems building on a short Remington, especially with the kind of long bullets you would want for "long range" target shooting.

Short bullets for varmints like a 100 gr HP should fit in the magazine well, but then again, this may not be as good for varmints as simply a .243 winchester or similar.

In short, the 6.5/284 will make an excellent cartridge, brass is not really that hard to form and lasts well, but it is in no way superior to a 6.5/06 in a long action. I really can't see it as a good varmint or target cartridge. It's more of a medium game cartridge.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
The one article I read by a well known writer/shooter praised the cartridge to no end. He was hitting targets at over 1200yds. consistently. I believe it would be a hell of a varmint round and I believe it's origins were from the sniping womb. That moly coated, needle nosed bullet that Norma loads has a very high BC. Also, a short fat powder column has advantages over long narrow ones in as far as accuracy is concerned.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
How big a barn was he shooting at?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
You must be talking about Tubbs. I think he has been blowing away everyone with that round. I believe its that round. In this months American Rifleman, it reports 6.5X Wildcat. His targets are quite a bit smaller than a barn. Maybe a bird house.

<David>
posted
Fredj338

I am thinking about doing the same thing. The only drawback that I have been able to discover so far, is with the OAL, especially with the heavier bullets. The Rem SA magazine is just barely over 2.8 inches. This might be OK with lighter bullets, but the heavier ones will not be able to be magazine fed if you want to take full advantage of the powder capacity of the cartridge. You would have to seat the bullets quite deep in the case, taking up space that could be used for more slow burning powder. You would be limited to using it as a single shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI - I'm trying to get a 6.5/284 set up for long range target shooting. With the 139-142 grain bullets seated so the boattail/cylinder intersection is at the shoulder neck intersection, case OAL is approximately 3.165 inches.

I'm still working out some difficulties with this rifle, as I'm only seeing 3000 fps with heavy loads. Others report up to 200 fps more with these bullets.

I wish I had more info to offer you.

Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Ricciardelli and Bigcountry: The article was in the editorial section of Nov./'99 Tactical Shooter. Pete Forras was the gentleman I spoke with at the Shotshow. Prairie dogs at 800yds. and 15 out of 16 hits at 1200yds(measured)on a rock 32"x42" in a 15mph wind--full value and variable. Original test rounds were 120gr. Sierras at 3025fps.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I am thinking of the Sieera 120grMBT as a primary target load & the various 95gr for long range varmint work. Then again, maybe I should go to a .243imp. Decisions, decisions.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted a 6.5X284 to pop coyotes 400-500 yards from my back yard but came up with a .243 barrel and settled for a 6mm-284. It is deadly.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bubba John,

What sort of velocities from what sort of loads and barrel length? Also what COL and would it be a good choice for a rem short action?

TIA

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote