New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 100gr load
 Login/Join

<Swift Shot>
posted
I have finally done it. I just purchased my Tika Contential 26 inch barrel in 25-06. I am looking at working up a load on the 100 gr Sierra Game King. I am looking at using this round on feral hogs, white tail, and prong horn. I like the bullet because it has a B.C. of .410 and the price is right.

Anyone have experince with this round or have some suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have to admit to having tried WAY too many loads in my 25-06, but like the Sierra 100 grain bullets also.

I prefer the flat base Pro-Hunter version, but this is what works for me:

Remington case
Federal 210 primer
55 grains IMR 4831
Sierra 100 grain SP

This gives me about 3350 fps in my 24 inch Lilja barrel and groups 5 shots under an inch any time I do my part.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
58 grs RL 22.Screams out right at 3400 from my 26 incher and shoots plenty good groups.

for a pure accuracy load try 52 grs IMR-4350.it only goes about 3225 but shoots bugholes.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Swift Shot>
posted
What about Hornady SST in 117 gr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
my 117 load is a casefull of RL25,I forget the exact weight but it goes 3125 and drives nails.

It is rapidly becoming my favorite 25-06 load.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
117 Hornady SST's should work real well on everything you mentioned. The velocity will be a little slower but they are definitely a much tougher bullet than either 100gr(or 117-115gr) Sierra Game Kings or Nosler Ballistic tips.

I can get 3140fps (117 SST)out of my 257 Roberts 26" barrel, 52gr Rl 25, 1.5"groups (5 shots).

NOTE: I've read that the Sierra Game Kings with Hollow points are stronger than the lead tip ones. They use a harder antimony in the hollow points.??

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man that is smokin for a 117-257 Roberts.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RL-25 From 55.3 grains to 59.5 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I can get 3140fps (117 SST)out of my 257 Roberts 26" barrel, 52gr Rl 25, 1.5"groups (5 shots)."

In a former life as a more niave reloader, I used to shoot a case full of H4831 and a 117 gr. Sierra, the powder was compacted with a 3-foot drop tube. It clocked 3080fps. the pressure was high and the throat eroded. The same load with a 100 gr bullet clocked 3250fps. I sold the rifle, a Rem M722, after I trashed the barrel with those super hot loads. I also broke the extractor and had to replace it. This is too much of a good thing.

You should get a 25-06. A 257 Robt is at it's best as a mild sweet shooting short action cartrige. Treat it as such and you will get years of service.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In regard to the 117 Hornady SST, it is a pretty new bullet and I have not had the chance to shoot anything but targets with them. However, my dad shot two deer last fall with them, using a .257 Weatherby. I was not present, but he said that in both cases the deer dropped like lightning had struck them.

I did try them on paper just the other day in my 25-06. I was pretty happy with the results. You might want to try working up to the load I settled on.

W-W case
Fed 215M primer
54 grains IMR 7828
Hornady 117 SST

velocity = 3143 fps
group for three shots was 0.53 inches

I have loaded some more and am going looking for a wild hog to shoot with them soon.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 112BVSS Savage in 25.06 it has a 26 inch tube also, weighs slightly more than yours , 13lbs but mine is my long range rat smacker and I have no intention of carrying it around. I use IMI 30.06 cases sized down, that tightens the neck a bit (be sure to measure) I use the Sierra 100gr BTSP molied , with enough IMR 4831 to chrono at just over 3,300 fps. Even though it weighs 1/2 a ton I have shot several antelope and one mulie with it, very effecient round. I've also shot bu-coo pararie dogs, gophers, and rock chucks (my longest rock chuck to date is 659yrds). It's a great bullet, and in accuracy tests it keeps up with 95gr Bergers and various others. It works equally well on antelope, deer , or varmints! Good shooting.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
My 257 Roberts load was a little experiment I tried. In all honesty I didn't think I could get enough powder in the case to raise pressures high enough for a decent velocity (too slow of powder).

I did, but I didn't go overboard. There were no signs of really high pressure (primers still rounded, easy extraction, base measurements were actually 0.0003" less than my normal load of 47gr RL 19 117 Hornady). The load is compacted but not exceedingly.

I thought the same thing you did MR. Big!! [Eek!]

My gun (Ruger #1) has a slightly lengthen throat (c.o.l. is 2.95").

As far as me needing a 25-06 why? Don't their throats erode?

What I usually shoot out of this gun are 75gr V-Maxs at --get ready--3400fps. Its tough being naive.

KEEP ON RELOADING ! You'll never find out if something works, or not--if you don't try!!
Don't trust anyone except yourself!!

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when I put the second bbl on my 25-06 the 100 NBT would touch at 3.265.after 5000 rounds the 100 NBT wont reach and still be in the case.

I geuss thats why the 117 has become the better load.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Using the Sierra 100 gr. match king I use 54 grains of H4831 SC CCI mag primer Rem Cases in a Remington case.
Using the 100 Speer HP with 56 grs, IMR 4831 CCI mag primers, Rem cases in a Mark X.
In both rifles these loads are very accurate, I have no idea as to velocity, both are easy on cases.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<riviephx>
posted
The Sierra Game King is not made for hunting. I use the Game King for targets. Try switching to Barnes Bullets for hunting. Barnes fly about the same at 100 yards. You will find the Barnes about 100 fps faster and flatter than the Game Kings with the same powder charge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Riviephx

Are you sure you're not thinking about the MatchKing? I have a box of factory loaded Winchester's laying around with GameKings in them. In fact, I killed a deer with one of them last year when I decided to hunt opening day at the last minute.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
<riviephx>
posted
I stand corrected. I was Matchking.
Sierra states:
GameKing� bullets are designed for hunting at long range, where their extra margin of performance can make the critical difference. GameKing� bullets feature a boat tail design to bring hunters the ballistic advantage of match bullets.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm currently loading for three .25-06s. Two of them prefer the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and one likes the 100gr Sierra GameKing. All three, after much load development, prefer IMR 4350 for accuracy. Two (with the NBT) like 50 gr of 4350, the other likes 52 gr with the SGK.
Max

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
52 grs IMR-4350 is THE accuracy load,but there are better loads to hunt with.