THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Your pet load for 300 winmag and 200 gr Sierra MK?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your pet load for 300 winmag and 200 gr Sierra MK?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Your reccomendations and experiences would be appreciated..especially if anyone is using H1000 as I have some "in stock" right now...

Thanks

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
work up to 79 grains H1000 and seat the bullet .005" off the lands to start out with (note that will result in a long OAL, but in my 300 win mag I have an extended magazine box so I can feed the long stuff. For most target purposes, you only need a single shot). H4831 is also outstanding and is what I use in both Fed gold medal match brass and winchester brass with the 200 grain SMKs.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir for your quick reply. Have been using H4831 SC in my 6.5x06 with good results, so I have some of that too!

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, in that case, work up to 71.5 grains of H4831SC. NOTE: MAX load in the most generous manuals so work up to it! Also, as stated, I strongly suggest seating .005" off the lands even though this may not fit in your magazine. What model is your rifle by the way? If it is a win M70 you can change out the magazine box and follower (to a 7 stw or 375H&H) and cut back the bolt stop to accept ammo with an OAL to just under 3.6". I would assume this can be done with a remington also.? Also, if it is a win M70, you can simply drill out the spacer in the magazine box. I just chose to replace mine with those for a 375H&H though. At least for rifles with a heavy contour barrel (which mine has), most guys have great luck with H4831 (long or SC). You may in fact have better luck with H1000 though, but these are the 2 and only 2 powders I would suggest starting out with. If your gun is going to shoot the 200 SMKs, it will most likely like one of those 2 powders. ALSO (important), my rifle likes CCI 250 primers, but many guys use winchester WLRM (large rifle mag) primers. My gun did not like the WLRM primers but loved the CCI 250, so this is something else to play with. I would change these things before you consider trying a powder other than H1000 and H4831sc. Also, work up in half grain incriments! For some reason, the 300WM in my opinion is very fickle when it comes to powder charge. .5 grains too high or too low from sweat spot and you'd never know it could be a tack driver. My rifle will shoot .3" on good days and generally .5" 5 shot groups, and I am not a BR shooter and don't have that great a rest, but I do alright with what I have. I believe with a good rest and in the right hands my rifle with my loads could shoot .3" on most days.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a little research on this a while back and found Reloader 22 was the most popular powder for the 300WM. My 300WM likes 70.6gr Reloader 22 with the 200gr Accubond .012 off the lands. This load gives me 2875fps hardly smokin but accuracy is my highest priority not fps.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, this is for SIG SHR 970...has produced some 3 shot MOA groups with no load development (Hornady 150 gr. spire points and 4350). These were "starter" loads for my son. He's a 19 yr old man now but I still didn't want him to develop a flinch so we started tame...the 200 gr. MK's are lying around so I thought I'd try them.

R

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington cases sorted to achieve equal internal volume.

CCI 250 primer

72.2 grains of IMR7828

Consistently better than MOA

200 gr SMK or SGK

Muzzle velocity - 2897 fps average (26" barrel)

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, with the accubonds RL22 worked for me too, but I did not bust the .75 mark with the 200SMKs consistantly until I tried H4831SC. RL22 sure shines for bullets weighing 180 grains and even 190. In my old 300WM, RL22 worked great with 200 grain partitions and sierra gamekings, but my new custom rifle is more consistant with H4831SC.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, my load is most accurate right at an average velocity of 2891 fps with the 200 SMKs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't quite what you asked but I was so tickled I had to include it. My Savage 116 in .300 WM has been mediocre accuracy wise but, the other day I ran some 200 gr. SGK with 69.5 gr of RL-22 through the rifle and got a .6" group. This is the best the rifle has done so far, I do like RL-22. Sorry, didn't have the chronograph setup. Like everyone says, start low and work up. I hope to repeat this soon. Darn work, it always gets in the way of the stuff that's really important.

Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish everyone understood the importance of backing down and working back up when switching to a different lot. Better yet, buy a large keg as soon as they have confirmed they have found a sweat load.