THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"New" brass with lube and FL size marks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone ever purchase new brass that was lubed and had the marks of being full length resized?

I never have before.

I recently purchased from an online auction house some Remington nickel plated 45-70 that is supposed to be new unfired brass. It was loose in a ziplock bag. Feels like it has been lubed and looks full length resized. Primer pockets are way too clean to have ever been fired as appears the inside of the cases though.

Thoughts?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought brass that was offered as new that I found fouling in. Apparently the guy though he was getting all the evidence off of the brass.

Any time you get brass that is not in sealed factory bags it could be humped in one way or another.

One of the most likely ways to get something that you do not expect is culled brass.

What happens is the first owner buys 500 to 1000 cases and sorts it for nicks, dings and weight. All of the perfect cases with weights in the middle of the bell curve are kept.

The remaining cases from the upper and lower tails of the bell curve - the heaviest and lightest cases are sold on line as new brass.
And they are new cases but they are the worst of the lot. The culls.

That someone might sell sized and prepped but unfired brass as new brass would not surprise me.

To work around this before the Obama shortage I always bought large quantities of rifle brass when possible and weighed them. Then I sort them. The heavy cases are in a lot to be used for working up loads. The heavy cases have the smallest internal capacity. Loads worked up in them will be safe in all the lighter cases in that lot. These cases may be used for hunting.

The middle of the bell curve cases are used for the bulk of my shooting especially any accuracy applications.

The light cases are kept as spares or may be used for hunting.

The bottom line is I weigh cases to find out if I bought culls.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote