New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free floating my cz 527 american
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I Have tailored ammo for my cz 527 american in .223 down to around CONSISTANT .35 inch groups at 100 yds. The barrel is not free floated it rests in the barrel channel pretty tight. I tried working up reduced loads for it but get vertical stringing but they are still .5 groups at 50 yds(reduced loads are 2650 fps,50gr) will free floating help my reduced loads?Or will it change my good high powered groups as well? should i try experimenting with bullet seating first for the reduced loads?

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
uh with groups like that I would be afraid to even touch the gun. How much more can be asked of a sporter weight barrel. I just got the varmit model and was wondering if there is a way to clean up the un set part of the trigger. as mine is pretty creepy. the set is prolly at less than 1# and works great.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

uh with groups like that I would be afraid to even touch the gun. How much more can be asked of a sporter weight barrel. I just got the varmit model and was wondering if there is a way to clean up the un set part of the trigger. as mine is pretty creepy. the set is prolly at less than 1# and works great.

I wouldn't touch that rifle either!

My trigger (CZ 527 carbine, 7.62X39mm) works great unset, but the set trigger can't be adjusted to any lighter letoff than it has unset! Just the opposite of yours. I think the trigger design is about the only real problem this model has.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trashcanman,

I've got the exact same model - don't touch it - play around with the reduced loads first. Mind you, half inch at 50 yards is not to be sneezed at. Decide what you want the rifle to do. Shoot full power loads accurately, OR low power loads? Getting one rifle to be everything rarely works well.

As far as the trigger goes, I was able to get my trigger to be quite smooth, but my son uses it as well, so I had a smith disable the 'set trigger' feature. For some reason, the trigger now works better - literally like a glass rod, and I don't have to worry about an AD resulting from an accidentally 'set' trigger. Great peace of mind, and a real shooter. Only downside is the box mag, wanted to trade mine for a Sako, son says NO WAY!! It's sort of become 'his gun'!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it... It's shooting pretty well, so don't change anything.
I have a 527 in 222 Rem. The trigger is not wonderful, to say the least. I did some work on the non-set part and it's not bad now, but the set part needs help. I need to get into it and fix it, or disable it.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can adjust the unset trigger too. I did on both my 527's (Lux hornet & varmit .223). It's in the manual and if you don't have one, they can be downloaded from CZ-USA web site.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right about the adjustment ifo being in the manual, but I did find that after the 'smith disabled the set trigger, mine works even better - don't know what he did (if anything) but maybe it just simplified the mechanical interactions?

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote