New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Bumping back" the body - which die?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some of my .22/250 brass has been stretching to the point where "partial resizing" using a full length Lee die to effect neck sizing is leaving the brass too tight to chamber easily and a thread elsewhere (Why would...) recounts getting a live round absolutely stuck.

I've been advised that a Redding Body die is just the thing to bump back the brass and indeed Redding's adverts specifically claim this for their body die.

My question is this: I already have a Lee f/l and an RCBS comp f/l die and don't want to buy another if this is just clever advertising on Redding's part so is this really something which those dies won't do?

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Pete:
..."partial resizing" using a full length Lee die to effect neck sizing is leaving the brass too tight to chamber easily...

Pete, just screw it down then! FWIW: A bump die will resize the body but not the neck.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a set of RCBS dies tobump the shoulder back about 0.002 on both of my beltless Lazzeroni's and have never had a problem either chambering a round or any problems at all.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Body dies, while excellent companions to neck sizers, are specialized -thus expensive- tools. They fit into the extreme accuracy concept and are probably "overkill" for the majority of hunting rifles. I'd advise you to use any FL sizing die to partial size your cases to the point they allow the bolt to close with a little bit of "feel". Then, back to neck sizing until the bolt gets harder to close, giving a warning that it's time to go over it again.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre,

I'm not sure you're saying that my f/l length dies will take care of the brass which needs bumping back or not?

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
Body dies are less than $20. They work well. Another potential option (if they are made in 22/250 head size) is to get a set of Competition Shellholders from Redding. These allow you to tailor the degree of sizing to your rifle's headspace. They run about $35.00 and you have to get the entire set of 5 shellholders.

Martindog

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Pete, Use a fl sizing die with the shell holder hitting the bottom of the fl die and u will have the same thing as a redding body die except the redding body die will not touch the neck.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Pete, once you get hard bolt closure on some NS cases in a lot, it's time to treat them all (I see no sense in having to partial size -in turn- some more cases of the same box each time you take them out shooting). More so, accuracy from a mixed bag of partial and neck sized cases will vary so let's keep things consistent). What makes your case too tight for the chamber is much less body swell (non-match chambers are tolerant in that respect) than a gradual forward movement of the shoulder, taking up headspace. Sizing those cases in a progressively screwed in FL sizing die, until you "kiss" the shoulder -trying closure in the rifle and stopping when it does with a slight "feel"- does the trick. After that, your cases should be good for another 10-12 neck sizings (= my count in .22-250), until you start getting split necks, of course...

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete....using your FL dies the process is simple.
(1)initially adjust your die so that when your stroke is at the top there is at least 1/2" between the shell sholder and the bottom of the die.
(2) take a red magic marker and cover the neck and shoulder of the case...lube the case and run it up into the die...you will be able to see where the sizing stopped by the smeare of the red marker ink.
(3) lower the die a bit and do it again.
(4) keep doing this until the red ink is smeared "almost" to the shoudler of the case.

SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED 3 THINGS...(a) make sure you lube the case or it will get stuck, (b) take out your expander ball after the first pass, and (c) you need to measure the fired length of your case from the head to the datum line on the shoulder...I use a Stoney Point comparator but there are several other good ones out there...this distance is what you are going to move back about 2/1000.

(5) making sure the case is lubed lower the die about a quarter turn and measure set back. Make very small adjustments at this point as all you will need for a bolt-action is about 2/1000.

What you have done is basically set up your die to fit "your" chamber and not the average chamber. There is a good write-up on this in the A-Square loading book.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted

I was talked into buying a Redding, FL bushing die. I was instructed to just bump back the shoulders 1 to 2 thousands every firing. Many bench rest shooters follow this practice. I am very happy I went this way, My TIKKA 223 is shooting in the.300s now. And with the bushings I am working the brass minimally. My bolt goes down the same way for all rounds. This method seems to be more accurate in this factory gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully as a conclusion to this thread and the original one at

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003624.html

"why would a..."

I've now tested all 400-odd pieces of .22/250 brass, both empty and loaded.

The loaded rounds which wouldn't chamber easily have been pulled. All empty brass which wouldn't chamber easily have been full length resized and checked again.

Result? A total of five cases which after full length sizing will not chamber properly - and one of those is marginal.

Lessons learned?

1. No more partial resizing for me. It's full length sizing until Santa brings me a proper collet neck sizer.

2. The urgency to add a budy bump die to the reloading bench has pretty much gone away and assuming that proper sizing tehnique in future will keep the failure rate to around 1%, I'd go so far as to say that new brass would be a better investment than a body bump die.

Cheers guys, for all the help and support. Now to get the scope re-zeroed!

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
Pete,

First I load with a Dillon which many feel is a sloppy loader, and it is. One of the main advantages is that the interchangeable die head keeps all my dies pre-set correctly. You can establish this same thing by finding the correct setting and locking the ring on your dies at this setting.

How to find the correct FL sizing for your particular rifle:

Remove the firing pin from your bolt. Adjust the FL die down until you can feel no resistance to closing the bolt on an empty round. I like to adjust mine until it takes just a whisper of pressure to close the bolt. You cannot get this �feel� while tiring to overcome the pressure of the firing pin spring.

I do have one 223 that I purchased used and seems that someone re-chambered it with a tight body. A small base die set still wasn�t enough to resize the brass properly. I used a bench grinder and removed a few thousands off the mouth of the die so it would size down more. The job doesn�t have to be perfect. The die doesn�t touch the case here and it just acts as a stop against the shell holder. Problem solved.

I load 30+ calibers, most stock, some custom with tight chambers/necks. I still do not own a bump die.

$10.00 for a Sinclair case gauge will keep you from having to chamber all the brass to find the �bad� ones and make the process very rapid.

Shoot safe,
Mike