Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt +P loads with BlueDot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted
Too lazy to go to the store for more Lilgun, but I do have BlueDot on hand. The book stops at 11.5 gr of BlueDot for a 250 gr bullet, yielding 890 fps @ 12,200 psi. Anyone have any data that extends this a bit? It's for a Ruger Bisley, so I'd like to increase to ~1100 fps. Is this doable with this powder?

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Try 12gr of BlueDot & work up. I have found you can load .45colt+p buy using .44mag data. Obviously this is ONLY FOR RUGER OR FREEDOM ARMS revolvers.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot From 10.4 grains to 16.9 grains
CCI-300 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I knew it could be done, but wasn't sure how far to go. Why didn't I think of your site Steve? What manual is the 16.9 gr max from?

Fredj - you use 44 mag data for the same bullet weight, correct? This is reasonable, as the 45 Colt case is larger, pressure will be less than or equal to(?) the pressure for the 44 at the same load.

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Manual?

It is from my loading and shooting benches...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You'll find vel. about 100fps or so less than the same bullet wt./powder charge in the .44mag.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WW-296 and 2400 powders, along with Hornady's XTP bullets, are well kept secrets in 45 Colt.

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Steve- the only reason I ask is that 16.9 seems high and I was wondering if there were any pressure measurements taken. Taking Fred's lead, the 44 Mag data in the book I have tops out at:
12.7 for a 265 gr bullet
16.6 for a 240 gr lead bullet.
A 240 JSP stops at 14.4, even.

Allowing a bit more for a larger case, and backing down some for a 250 gr instead of a 240 gr bullet, I would still be leery of 16.9 grs in the 45 Colt. what kind of velocities were you getting? What kind of pistol?

Do you happen to have your chronograph progression for your load work up? Not try to be rude, but I like all my fingers right where they are. Wink Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer lists 16.0 grains of Blue Dot for a 225 grain "Mag-JHP". Thirteen grains is fine for standard S&W 25 loads for the 260 grain JHP. Since this powder falls between Unique and 2400 in burn rate you might look at their top loads, 10.5 and 18.0 respectively and expect your top load to fall between these loads. Expected velocities for 7.5" barrel were: 1180 fps and 1079 fps. A guess at 1130 fps with same barrel length sounds reasonable as a max value. Blue Dot isn't a suggested powder for this bullet by the way.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
My .45 Colt loads were developed in a Ruger Blackhawk. It is common knowledge that they will take a little more "oomph" than the others.

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot is much closer to 2400 in burn rate than it is to Unique. It is also one of the most popular for 30,000 CUP .45 LC loads!

Also works great in .41 Magnum and is my favorite powder for top velocity .357 Magnum, along with AA#9! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Try 12gr of BlueDot & work up. I have found you can load .45colt+p buy using .44mag data. Obviously this is ONLY FOR RUGER OR FREEDOM ARMS revolvers.

I don't usually use quotes unless I am agreeing with someone and that is the case here, because Fred got me to thinking about this so I checked some manuals and found that he is correct. In fact, if you look at loads in .44 Magnum and the high pressure .45 LC, the .45 LC charges are slightly higher so this could be helpful with load development where you find data hard to find. I looked particularly at data from Accurate and noticed something else I had kinda' forgotten about. Their newest magnum handgun powder, sort of, it was originally marketed for the .410, 4100 shows some very good capability for high pressure LC loads. Also, they have load data for 30,000 CUP level .45 LC that you can download from their website in PDF, http://www.accuratepowder.com
Accurate claims that in absence of data for magnum loads you can also use #9 data and increase by 3%. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote