Find
Notify
Tools

.264 Win Mag (RL-25)
 Login/Join

<re5513>
posted
Greetings All,

I was curious if any of you had tried either RL-22 or RL-25 with the .264 Win Mag and 140 gr. bullets.

Or, If you have a favorite load to share with another powder that would be fine too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used neither. Many years ago I did use some Norma 205, which many claim to be very similar if not identical to RL 22. I had good results with one lot, but the second lot I got hold of was noticibly faster and didn't do well.

I would expect RL 25 to be useful, but don't really have any incentive to try it since the very inexpensive and excellent surplus WC 872 works so well. With approximately a case full (perhaps compressed, depending on your particular rifle), I've had the best velocities and excellent accuracy with a Nosler 140 partition.

While the only data that exists for WC 872 simply says to "start with H-870 loads", it is actually somewhat slower than H-870. Work up to this level cautiously, but expect your top load with 140's to be in the 80 grain range. This powder may be too slow for bullets lighter than 140, but I don't have much use for a lighter bullet in a .264 anyway. It is reasonable to expect velocities in 24-26" barrels to run from 3100-3250 FPS with full-house loads of WC 872.

Another surplus powder, WC 860, would "sound" about right for the .264, but it doesn't seem to do as well as WC 872 and actually acts a bit slower, at least in the lots I have.

You might assume that "magnum" primers would be required with these powders, and I'm sure they would be fine, but I've had no ignition problems with standard force primers.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happened into one of those limited run Remington .264's last year, and after the smoke cleared, I settled on 140 grain Hornady bullets and RL-25. Pop (another poster here) turned me onto this powder. Start at 63 grains and work your way up. I run 66 grains for 3100 fps with sub-moa accuracy (averages ~.7 for 4 shots @ 100 yds). Top end IN MY RIFLE runs at 69 grains for 3300+, but the bullets don't hold together too well at those speeds.
DD

Posts: 105 | Location: CO | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<toto>
posted
I don't have a 264, but the powder Stonecreek mentioned wc872 was the best I found in my 7mag. with 150bt and 160par. I tried the two you mentioned. The wc872 beat them hands down. Hope this helps. fws

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I have tried both RL22 & RL25 on a number of different combinations, but not with that particular caliber. The problem that I always seem to get with RL25 is that the velocity spread is horrible so I finally put it in the back of my closet and swore to never use the 4 1/2 pounds that I have left.

To give one example:

22-250 Ack. Imp. using 80 grain Berger bullets from a 22" barrel. Air temp. was approx. 65 deg. F. with low humidity. All loads were individually weighed to 1/10 of a grain. Cases were matched and prepped. Alternated back and forth between one RL22 & one RL25 with approx. 1 minute between shots.

RL22 39 grains is backed off 1.5 grains from getting slight primer flattening. Velocity spread for 10 shots was 3127 to 3141 fps. 14 fps spread for 10 shots. Ragged 100 yard hole covered by a nickel.

RL25 43 grains (full case) gave a velocity spread of 3316 to 3398 fps. No pressure signs. Even at 100 yards the load gave definite vertical stringing of approx. 1".

Based on the difference in velocity you can see that I wanted to use the RL25 real badly, but cannot tolerate the vertical stringing. This was the actual comment copied from my load development book written down at the range as it happened.

I ran into a similar problem with the 7mm Remington Magnum, so tossed the powder in the back of the closet. I sure do love the RL22, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using RL25 in my 24 inch .264 with the lighter bullets ( 100 and 120 gr) , and have gotten excellent velocity and accuracy .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<BIG GAME RS>
posted
I have been loading 67 gr of rl 25 and a 130 barns x, for 3350 fps fed 215 prmr.shoot very well in rem 700 26 in hart barrel.