Find
Notify
Tools

50,000 CUP .45-70 loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted
Has anyone here tried Hodgdon's red hot loads in a No. 1? I'm curious how brass designed for a 28,000 CUP cartridge holds up under such a beating. I'm pondering a medium bore formed from .45-70 brass, and I was wondering how hard I could push it.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Using 20 grs. of Hodgdon's Tightgroup behind a 325 grain bullet in the S&W 500 Mag the pressure is 50,700 PSI according to Hodgdon's web site. The 500 Mag with the 4" barrel is something to behold especially in an indoor range. It'll make woman and children scream and cry and grown men will run for cover holding their ears

500Mag

Posts: 15 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only trouble i ever hard was when i took it to 86.000
the butt of the case formed to the reciver face
and i had to drive it out ( the case ) with a steel rod
========
Then again your not ( I hope ) as crazy as me ..

The case's start to deform at about 65.000 PSI you will start to note deforming on the butt of the case's
Since your not going to ( unless your nut's ) go that high
and please don't try to....

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of you are using "CUP" and others "PSI" ....you'al be careful now...ya hear"

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have used Hornady's 50,000 CUP loads in my .45/70 Ruger No.1., using both RE 7 and IMR 3031. The cases hold up better than my shoulder!! (Actually, no problems with the cases at all.)

I have NOT used any Hodgdon data or powders in mine.

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Some of you are using "CUP" and others "PSI" ....you'al be careful now...ya hear"

FYI, the .45/70 is one of those rare cartridges in which PSI and C.U.P. are the same!!