New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting a 6.5 x 55 Husq project....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use H1000 in a 6.5 Swede and it shoots great with Sierra Matchking. But this rifle is going to be my final deer rifle and want to work up a load for Missouri whitetail. This is a slim little rifle built by Husquarvarna using a 96 Mauser action. Any recommendations for powders and bullets? Velocity is not an issue. 2,700 - 2,800 fps with 140 grain bullets would work nicely. Range will be <300 yards and most often <200 yards. Thanks, Bill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RL22 works nicely in my milsurp Swede with 140 grain bullets. I get 2800 fps out of a 29" tube, with very mild pressures suitable for the older guns.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

As you know from shooting Match loads with the Swede, that 6.5 bullets are very aerodynamic and flat shooting.

If the H 1000 with 140 grain Match bullets worked well, why change that? If you know it and its trajectory.

From Missouri deer, any 6.5 load will suffice. I prefer mid range powders, RL 15, IMR 4064 and 4895 seem to work well in all of my 6.5 x 55s. Check out ballistic tables, if most shots are at 200 yds, which should be plenty for Missouri, 2500 to 2600 fps should be great. I would use the 120, 125 or 129 grain bullets, depending on if you prefer a ballistic tip ( 120) or several of the other brand 120s, the 125 grain Partition which is the "most reliable" to me, followed by the 129 gr Hornady.

The biggest downside of this round in that application is too many choices to have to choose from, but the upside is, NONE of them will be a wrong choice.

Cheers and Good shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have the same rifle as my father. Excellent rifle, light and reliable.
I have made many loads to my 6,5x55 / M98 Mauser, but the one that gave me the best groupings was 45 grs N160 powder, close to max, try lower first...
My barrel is so "thight" that Lapua Scenar is useless until my barrel get's orn down more. 130grs Norma Diamond Line was the best for me.

For the hunting you can use Norma Oryx, Interbond or Accubond, or even scirrocco bullets. I use 140grs A-Frame for Elk and use just above 40grs of N160 powder to that bullet with good results.

Happy hunting

Posts: 64 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle...what works for me is 40 grains of IMR 4064 under a Nosler Partition. Runs out over 2800 fps and cloverleafs out of my rifle at 100 yds shooting from a rest.

It shot through and through a big minnesota whitetail for me two years ago...it should do the job on the Missouri variety.

Hope this helps...

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle, and it is very accurate. I load it with Norma MRP powder, and Speer bullets. When I found the right load it delivered 3 shot groups below 1/2 inch.

Posts: 44 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote