New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Reloader Needs HELP!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just started rollin some .308 rounds for my Win mod 70 stealth. The closest I can get a 168 gr A-max to the lands is .065 an still be able to load them in the magazine. Is this too much? Nosler 165 gr nosler ballistic tips are even worse. factory loads are probably .100 off the lands or more(im guessing) Does the gun have excessive head space or is this normal?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does the gun have excessive head space or is this normal?

1st, headspace is the lenght of the chamber from the bolt face to a datum on the chamber shoulder. It can also be measured from the belt on a belted case or the rim thickness on a rimmed case. The measurment you`re looking at is the COL or sometimes refered to as the OAL.
I`ve seen the problem you found with a long throat in a few rifles. The Weatherbies are designed to have a long throat or "free bore". The throat will also move forward with wear and some reamer makers build theirs to cut a long throat to aid in keeping pressure down.
The long VDL type bullets are a problem in some rifles as you`ve found. They are too long to seat out to the lands and fit in the mag. I`d play with the depth, going deeper of course and see if accuracy improves at some point. If not I`d try another bullet style that has a blunter shape and see if it will seat closer to the lands and if it helps accuracy.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only .065"? Heck, my milsurp Swedish Mauser is at least double that, when the cartridge tips just barely clear the magazine. And it is deadly accurate.

Unless you have accuracy problems, I wouldn't worry about it. And if you do have accuracy problems, it's still probably something else.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Space off the lands is one of my last concerns when working up a load. Have you covered everything else first? I believe the bullet should have a little jump or pressure problems may arise. All revolvers jump and some are very accurate. If you have investigated all other accuracy eating problems, then spend some time on bullet jump. Otherwise don't sweat it.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote