THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Are There Any Longer Cartridges On The 7.62X39/PPC Head Diameter?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are There Any Longer Cartridges On The 7.62X39/PPC Head Diameter?
 Login/Join

<Fireplug>
posted
I am looking for a cartridge 1.750 long or longer with the same .440 or .445 head size of the 7.62X39 and PPCs. A source for basic cases on this case head would also work. Any help appreciated.

Fireplug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm dredging this up from memory, but I seem to remember that the 25 and 30 Rem cartridges(not the more common 35Rem) used a head thats the same size as the 7,62x39.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

According to John J. Donnelly's THE HANDLOADER'S MANUAL OF CARTRIDGE CONVERSION,

The 220 Russian head diamter is 0.441
30 Remington = 0.422
35 Remington = 0.460

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
There is always the 7.62X45 out there just cause those pesky Czech's refused to go along 100% with those occupying forces telling them what to do!
LouisB
By the way I have no idea what that is in inches, but close I think.
50 mm= about 2"
LouisB

[ 11-17-2002, 05:43: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<ClassicAl>
posted
Fireplug: This case head size has a long history. It began with the 6.5x52 Mannlicher-Carcano and the rimmed 6.5x53R Mannlicher in the early 1890s. These begat the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer and the 7.35 mm Carcano, the use of the latter by the Finns in WWII inspiring the Russians to develop the 7.62x39. They also inspired the US 6mm Lee Navy of 1895, which, with a semi-rim added, begat the .220 Swift. If you have access to a lathe the Swift case would be your best choice; you would just need to turn down the rim and deepen the extractor groove. Otherwise you will have to search for some Boxer primed 6.5x52 or 6.5x54 brass (Norma used to make this, but I don't know if it is still in production). Hope this helps. Cheers, Al.

<Fireplug>
posted
Thanks All,

The 6.5X52, as suggested by ClassicAl, seems to be the only reasonably accessable choice. The Graf/Hornady colaboration is making brass for these available and reasonable.

Now, the why I am interested. Thinking of building a CZ527 in something 6.5 and 1.750- 1.850 " long, or to stay metric 6.5X45-47, as a handy little woods companion that would be capable of deer if asked.

Fireplug

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There is a RUMOR floating around that Norma is contemplating producing brass for that pesky Chech 7.62x45. Several AR types are besides themselves over that possibility..... LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fireplug:
Thanks All,

The 6.5X52, as suggested by ClassicAl, seems to be the only reasonably accessable choice. The Graf/Hornady colaboration is making brass for these available and reasonable.

Now, the why I am interested. Thinking of building a CZ527 in something 6.5 and 1.750- 1.850 " long, or to stay metric 6.5X45-47, as a handy little woods companion that would be capable of deer if asked.

Fireplug

One of the members is having just such a beast built, a 6.5 PPC. Check out the small bore forum for some details, and run a search for 6.5 PPC for the older posts.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote