Find
Notify
Tools

ricciardelli: HELP!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
My computer feeble mind has just learned how to use the Winzip demo that I downloaded. I downloaded "Load From a Disk" from your pages. Here is the problem: I now am attemopting to download "Loadbase". It down loads and I get a "Loadbase" icon, but when I open it, my computer defaults to "Load From a Disk"! What am I doing wrong

Please understand, I am not "computer literate"!

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Did you unZip each program into its own folder?

The executable file for Load From A Disk is lfdwin.exe

The executable file for Loadbase is loadbase.exe

What you can do is create a shortcut to your desktop using the executables...

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
Did you unZip each program into its own folder?

"

No I did not! I think that is the problem! I downloaded "Load from a Disk" directly to "WinZip". Now, I cannot even uninstall "WinZip", because even if I go to control panel or the uninstall icon for "WinZip", the program defaults to the "Load From a Disk" install program! What a mess!

What do I have to do to get rid of this?

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Go out in the street and locate the nearest 12 year old boy. He should be able to fix the problem in about 2 minutes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Gordon:
Go out in the street and locate the nearest 12 year old boy. He should be able to fix the problem in about 2 minutes.

Cruel but TRUE!!

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Gordon:

As a matter of fact, I have a 12 yr old boy in the house, and a 15yr old girl too. Nobody seems to know what to do.

I could do without the sarcasm and could use some help.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok Wildcat.
Lets take this in steps.

1st thing to do is download a new WinZip. get it installed and working. Then down load either one of the programs Load From a Disk" or "Loadbase" into a temporary space. Then using your winzip program unzip the file but be sure to specify a unique directory for it. Once thats done then download the other and do the same processn for it except put it into its own unique directory..... Hope this helps some...

And remember guys we all started the computer stuff a little on the green side.

[This message has been edited by Ray Gunter (edited 02-23-2002).]

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why it would run the wrong program since they are both different executables. Although they might share some libraries. Anyways you should know that when you unzip with winzip it remember the last place you extracted the files to and sets it as the default directory for the next unzip.

You might find setting WinZip to start in Classic mode might work better. If you are in wizard mode simply click the WinZip Classic button. When you see a list of files located within the window, click the little extract button. The line in the upper left corner is where winzip will dump the files. It will say something like c:\blah\.
When extracting different programs just type in the location yourself. In this case, something like c:\shooting\loadbase and c:\shooting\LFD

I was born 22 years ago with a keyboard as my first play toy.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanD:

You might find setting WinZip to start in Classic mode might work better.

DanD: Thanks for the tip. I reloaded in the "Classic" mode and it cured the problem. Thank you very much. I had tried reloading in the "Wizard" mode but it didn't help, but the Classic mode seems to have written over the Load From a Disc default.

Again, thank you very much! :

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everthing working fine now : : :

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
WJ, Glad to hear it, if you have any more trouble feel free to post it on the forum because I am sure there are more people than just you that need help, heh.

Dan Dupre

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote